Are you looking for some easy crochet blanket patterns to make for a baby girl or baby boy? Or maybe you need the perfect gift for an upcoming baby shower.
Either way, this list of seven simple and beginner-friendly baby blankets will help you quickly decide on your next blanket project and teach you how to crochet a baby blanket in no time at all.
If you are very new to crochet, I suggest you read my post about crochet abbreviations and five basic crochet stitches for the best start on these easy baby blankets. I hope you enjoy this list of seven free beginner baby blanket patterns! Have a great time picking a new blanket to crochet!
Common Crochet Stitches in Baby Blankets
- Single Crochet: A single crochet (SC) is one of the most basic crochet stitches you learn and is a great stitch for a baby blanket because of the tight stitch it creates. Learn more about the single crochet.
- Chain Stitch: The chain stitch is the base of most crochet projects and is basic to learn. Learn more about chain stitches in crochet, so you will understand them in the baby blanket patterns listed below.
- Half Double Crochet: A half double crochet or HDC is the next step up from a single crochet and is slightly taller. It also happens to be a favorite stitch among crocheters because of how simple it is to crochet. You can learn more of the HDC stitch with our free stitch video tutorial.
- Double Crochet Stitch: The Double Crochet (or DC) is the bigger than the half double crochet and is used to create quick projects since it is a taller stitch. Learn how to crochet the double crochet stitch with our free video tutorial and pattern.
Crochet Baby Blanket Sizes
When looking at crochet patterns, you will more than likely see a variety of baby blanket sizes that you can make. The most common sizes are Lovey, Stroller (or Crib Blanket), Receiving and Baby blanket size. The blanket patterns below come in all different sizes, so be sure to check the sizing to see if it will work for you.
These are the common blanket sizes baby blanket sizes below. You will see some patterns deviate from these sizes slightly, usually so that a particular repeatable pattern does not get interrupted, like a chevron or ripple stitch.
|Blanket Size||Dimensions (inches)||Dimensions (cm)|
|Lovey||12 x 12||30 x 30|
|Cradle (Small)||15 x 30||38 x 76|
|Cradle (Large)||18 x 33||46 x 84|
|Stroller||30 x 35||76 x 89|
|Crib||30 x 36||76 x 91|
|Receiving||40 x 40||102 x 102|
|Baby||42 x 52||107 x 132|
Learn more about blanket sizes, so you can get an idea about what the perfect blanket size is for your baby blanket.
Yarns for Baby Blankets
You can use any weight yarn to crochet a baby blanket. Most commonly, a beginner will use medium weight four yarns or a worsted weight yarn to make a blanket because it is easy to crochet with.
This being said, if you prefer to use a chunky yarn like a five or six weight, that would work just as well too in these blanket patterns.
Four Weight Yarns
Chunky + Super Bulky Yarns
When choosing a yarn to make a crocheted baby blanket, you will want to pick one that is machine washable and dryable as well as easy to take care of.
Another factor is picking yarn for a baby blanket is how soft it is against the skin. Soft yarn is usually one of the top reasons someone will pick a yarn over another.
You can go wrong with the few of my favorite yarn choices below to produce a soft blanket.
Top Soft Yarns for Baby Blankets
The Best Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
This beautiful chevron baby blanket is perfect to make for a new sweet new baby in your life. Make this with the blue yarn as suggested for a baby boy, or add a pop of pink yarn for a baby girl if you’d like.
Either way, this ripple blanket would be beautiful! The only crochet stitch you will need to know is the single crochet, too! Sounds like an easy project, right?
This crochet baby blanket is exactly as the name implies, simple! The simple stitches used are the single crochet, half double crochet, and double crochet, all of which are very beginner-friendly and follow a repeat row pattern!
Another great thing about this blanket is that it can be made with any color combination, so you’ll always have the perfect baby shower gift or special gift for someone.
The best part about this beginner baby blanket is that it uses only the single crochet stitch to create this beautiful ripple pattern.
If you love making ripple crocheted blankets, then this baby blanket is the one for you to try! Enjoy!
This cozy soft baby blanket is another easy pattern that is great for a beginner crocheter because it is made with only one crochet stitch! The variegated yarn means no color change, which makes it even simpler to make!
If you can single crochet, you can make this handmade baby blanket for the new addition in your life.
The stitches for this baby blanket are so easy to work up and are ones I would consider beginner! You will need to know how to make a single crochet stitch and a triple crochet stitch to make this easy blanket. That’s it!
The pattern also will explain the color change, so everything you need to make the perfect baby blanket is right there!
The simple combination of a double crochet and single crochet make this baby blanket gorgeous.
You will love how it works up and the endless color combinations that are possible! You can use a variegated yarn or solid color yarn to make this blanket. Have fun with it and see what you can come up with in your finished blanket.
This cozy baby blanket uses just a half double crochet and a chain stitch. Work this blanket up with the free pattern and picture tutorial to make a fast crocheted gift for a baby!
This simple baby blanket is great for beginner crocheters since it uses easy stitches!
This easy crocheted blanket pattern is perfect for new crocheters and uses only two basic crochet stitches!
If you can make the single crochet stitch and half double crochet stitch, then you can make this easy crochet blanket with our free pattern.
I Hope You Enjoyed These Free Beginner Crochet Baby Blankets
This free crochet baby blanket patterns for beginners list is a great resource to keep on hand anytime you need an easy crochet blanket to make! Enjoy! If you do make one of these designs, please share in the Easy Crochet Facebook Group.
More Free Crochet Baby Blanket & Baby Item Patterns
- Easy Crochet Stitches for Baby Blankets
- Granny Stitch Ripple Blanket Baby Pattern
- The Finley Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
- Classic Crochet Patterns for Baby Booties
- The Riley An Easy & Quick Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
- Free Crochet Lovey Pattern Baby Blanket
- Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns for Beginners
- Crochet Baby Granny Stitch Blanket
- Single Stitch Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns (All Free!)
- 14+ Crochet Baby Blankets Free Patterns
- Two Triangle Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
- Simple Stitch Crochet Baby Blanket
- 5 Easy Blanket Patterns for Baby using Vanna’s Choice Yarn
- Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns