This is a calculator we built to help resize any of our free crochet patterns or even a blanket that you want to make in the future. This crochet tool will help you figure out how many yards of yarn to crochet a blanket you will need, as well as the starting chains and rows!
When this crochet blanket resizing tool became so useful to us, that we decided to share it with everyone else!
How Many Chains to Start a Blanket or Afghan?
After submitting the form, the results will show you the amount of total chains you will need to start the blanket, the number of stitches and rows. If you have ever ask yourself how much yarn do I need to crochet a blanket this calculator will give you the total yarn needed for each standard blanket size.
One of the most difficult aspects of following or creating custom crochet patterns is the resizing of the sample you’ve made into proper stitch counts, rows and yardage for a different blanket size.
The blanket sizes provided in this resizing calculator are:
- Lovey: The typical “blankie” carried around by children.
- Stroller: Sized to fit over a stroller carrier.
- Receiving: Used to wrap up or swaddle a baby.
- Baby: The size of a baby crib.
- Throw: To be used when sitting on the couch binging Netflix.
- Twin: Fits a twin bed.
- Full/Queen: Fits a queen or full bed.
- King: Fits a king bed.
How to Use the Calculator
- Make a gauge swatch with the yarn + hook you are going to use. Usually, a 4″ x 4″ square.
- Count the stitches across
- Count the rows
- Choose full swatches, so you don’t break up the pattern
- If it’s a simple one stitch pattern this won’t matter, and you can pick create partial swatches
- Sometimes patterns call for extra stitches to be added at the end of the rows you can add that next
- Weigh your gauge swatch
- Enter the total weight of the skein of yarn you are using (this is usually on the label)
- Enter how many yards or meters are in the skein of yarn you are using