Are you looking for a free and easy crochet baby blanket pattern? I can help! This simple design is perfect to crochet if you are new to crochet or would just like a super easy baby blanket project to make!
Read on down to learn how to make your very own simple stitch baby blanket or purchase the ready to print AD-FREE PDF in the EC shop that includes four different baby blanket sizes.
Easy Beginner Baby Blanket to Crochet
This crochet blanket pattern is straightforward and works up superfast! Mainly because of the simple crochet stitches it uses, which means it’s a great beginner-friendly project which makes for a great toddler or newborn baby blanket.
Read down to find the free crochet pattern to get started on this simple to make baby blanket!
The Stitches for A Baby Blanket
When working with this chunky yarn, I found that single crochet stitches are the best to use. A bigger crochet stitch could leave holes in the blanket that little fingers could slip through and not be as warm.
Single Crochet (sc):
- Insert hook from front to back in the second chain from the hook or designated stitch
- Bring the yarn over (Yo) the hook and pull the yarn back through the chain (or stitch) from back to front (2 loops on hook).
- Yo and pull through both loops on the hook.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Learn this stitch →
Plus, single crochets are super easy to crochet up, which is great for a baby blanket since it works up fast.
The Perfect Yarn for Baby Crochet Blankets
The best chunky yarn to use for a baby blanket pattern is Bernat Blanket Yarn, a chenille-style yarn that makes some amazingly soft blankets! I knew when I saw this brand; it was going to be perfect for a crocheted baby blanket because of the soft texture of this yarn!
Bernat Baby Blanket Yarn
I chose to use the color Little Cosmos in the Bernat Baby Blanket line because of the mixture of blues, browns, and creams.
It is the perfect blend of colors for a blanket. If you prefer a different color of yarn, Yarnspirations, the parent company of Bernat Yarn has many beautiful colors to pick from for your blanket. You won’t be disappointed!
This baby yarn is one of the squishiest yarns you can use, and I highly recommend it for a baby blanket – knit or crochet since it can be machine washed, soft and is easy to find.
This polyester yarn has a soft cushion feel to it and is free of harmful substances, which makes it perfect for a baby’s sensitive skin.
It is considered a bulky six yarn and is extremely fast to work up in all types of projects like booties, garments and especially in a baby blanket! I promise you will love this yarn!
Take a look at the Bernat Baby Blanket Yarn below!
How to Resize a Baby Blanket
If you want a different size, then feel free to adjust it to make the blanket smaller or larger by using any number starting chain. Or you can use our blanket size calculator tool to help you would with sizes and starting chains.
I used a started chain of 54 for this blanket because I found it to be the perfect size for a quick car seat baby blanket or stroller baby blanket when heading outside!
Baby Blanket PDF with More Sizes
To make it easy, I also have a PDF version of this pattern available that shows you how to make four different baby sizes; lovey, stroller, receiving and baby!
Ready to get started on this beginner-friendly blanket? Read on down to find the full crochet baby blanket pattern below, or save to Pinterest to make later!
Happy Crochet Baby Blanket Making!
Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
Skill Level: Basic
- Bernat Baby Blanket Yarn in Little Cosmos (approximately 432 Yards) or any Bulky Yarn (6 weight).
- Approximately 35″ Height X 30″ Width (89 x 76 cm)
- 7 Single Crochets x 5 rows = 4 inches
- Written in standard US terms
- Change the size by using any number starting chain and refer to the blanket size chart for reference.
- The Ch 1 at the beginning of the blanket doe not count as st.
- If you’d like to use a different size yarn weight than suggested, then our Blanket Resizing Calculator can help.
Foundation Row: Chain 54. In the second chain from hook single crochet, single crochet in every chain across, turn. (53)
Row 1: Chain 1, single crochet in second stitch from hook, single crochet in every stitch across, turn. (53)
Row 2 – 44: Repeat row 1
Finishing: Fasten off the yarn after Row 44 and weave in loose ends with a yarn needle.
You are Done!
I gifted this to my sister for my newborn nephew at the time I wrote this post, and still six years later, it is holding up great for baby number two! So, I can guarantee that it will last for years to come! Promise!
More Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
I hope you enjoyed this free baby blanket pattern! Are you looking for more free crochet baby blanket patterns?
- Primrose Crochet Baby Blanket
- Easy Crochet Ombre Shell Stitch Baby Blanket
- Easy Moss Stitch Crochet Baby Blanket
- Easy Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Blanket
- Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern for Spring
- Bobble Crochet Baby Blanket (+7 Bonus Sizes)
- Must Try Easy Crochet Stitches for Baby Blankets
- Textured Puff Stitch Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Corner to Corner Heart Blanket Pattern
- Easy Crochet Baby Blanket with Ripples