Are you new to crochet and looking for an easy to crochet baby blanket? This one is it!
But that’s not all…
Scroll down to learn how to crochet a baby blanket (lovey & stroller size!) that is great for beginner crocheters.
But wait there’s more..
You can purchase a ready to print AD-FREE PDF with four sizes in the pattern shop! Exciting right?
The PDF includes Lovey, Stroller, Receiving & Baby sizes.
Crochet Stitches to Know to Crochet a Baby Blanket
I know what your thinking. I am new to crochet.
Don’t worry! There are only a few crochet stitches you’ll need to know to make this baby blanket.
Learn more about the single crochet stitch & chain stitch below.
Single Crochet (SC):
- Insert hook from front to back in the second chain from the hook.
- Bring the yarn over (YO) the hook and pull the yarn back through the chain from back to front (2 loops on hook).
- YO and pull through both loops on the hook.
Chain Stitch (CH):
- Make a slip knot.
- Insert hook into slip knot point first, bring yarn over the shaft of the hook from back to front and grab it with the throat of the hook.
- Draw hooked yarn through slip knot and onto the hook. This movement will make one chain stitch
- Repeat Steps two and three until you have the desired number of stitches for a pattern. One loop will remain on hook.
Extra Help: Watch the single crochet photo lesson too if you are more of a visual learner.
The Yarn To make a Cozy Baby Blanket
I just want to start with the fact that this blanket yarn is amazingly soft and chunky.
Bernat Blanket Yarn is considered a super bulky 6 yarn which means it will work up in not time at all. How awesome is that?
For this blanket I used the colorway baby pink but you can use any color you’d prefer. Believe me, there’s a big variety to pick from.
Don’t you wish you could start crocheting with this right now?
The Simple Stitch Baby Blanket Pattern
Skill Level: Basic
- Size 9 mm crochet hook
- Bernat Baby Blanket yarn or any super bulky 6 yarn. See chart.
- Yarn needle
Want more sizes? An AD-FREE PDF of this pattern is available in the shop that includes lovey, stroller, receiving and baby sizes.
|Height||Width||Starting Stitches||Rows||Yardage Needed|
Lovey & Stroller stitch counts are shown in parentheses ()
Foundation Row: Ch 22 (54)
Row 1: Starting in the second ch from the hook sc, sc in every ch across, turn. 21 (53)
Row 2: Ch 1, starting in first stitch sc, sc across the entire row in each st, turn. 21 (53)
Row 3 – 15: repeat row 2 (21)
Row 3 – 44: repeat row 2 (53)
Fasten off yarn with scissors and weave in loose ends throughout the blanket with a yarn needle.