Have you been looking for a simple and beautiful baby blanket pattern? If so, this blanket stitch blanket is it!
This easy crochet baby blanket pattern is a quick baby shower gift! A beginner-friendly blanket like this one is perfect for new crocheters who would like to try something a bit harder.
A Beginner-Friendly Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
You will need only a few materials and basic crochet knowledge to complete this baby blanket pattern, which makes it a perfect beginner-friendly crochet blanket project! I’ll talk a bit more about the crochet stitches and the yarn you’ll need to make this baby blanket below.
Scroll on down for the free crocheted baby blanket pattern (and 14 bonus blanket sizes as well!), or purchase the ad-free PDF and learn how to make the blanket stitch in crochet! I hope you enjoy this simple and beautiful blanket.
Crochet Stitches for A Baby Blanket
If you are having doubts, please don’t worry because you can do this! Take a look below at each stitch explanation to get a better understanding of how each stitch is made in this blanket.
Double Crochet (dc):
- Wrap the yarn over (yo) the hook, insert the hook into the specified st.
- Yo the hook again, draw the yarn through the st, so there are 3 loops on the hook
- Yo the hook again draw it through 2 loops, so there are 2 loops on the hook
- Yo the hook, draw it through the final 2 loops.
Single Crochet (sc):
- Insert hook from front to back in the second chain from the hook or designated stitch
- Bring the yarn over (Yo) the hook and pull the yarn back through the chain (or stitch) from back to front (2 loops on hook).
- Yo and pull through both loops on the hook.
Chain Stitch (ch):
A simple crochet stitch that often forms the foundation of what crochet stitches are worked into during projects.
- Make a slip knot.
- Insert hook into slip knot point first, bring yarn over the shaft of the hook from back to front and grab it with the throat of the hook.
- Draw hooked yarn through slip knot and onto the hook. This movement will make one chain stitch
- Repeat steps two and three until you have the desired number of stitches for a pattern. One loop will remain on hook.
The Perfect Yarn for This Baby Blanket
To create the beautiful color in this blanket, I used Lion Brand Baby Soft Yarn in the color Parfait and White, which is a 60% acrylic & 40% nylon blend. This yarn is incredibly soft & cozy, which means it’s perfect for swaddling a baby.
Furthermore, it is available in some pretty fabulous colorways too! You’ll want to check them out the next time you are perusing the yarn aisle!
Do you want to use a different yarn?
You can find a ton of suggestions for thread online at places such as Amazon, or you take a peek inside your local craft store to find a suitable yarn too.
You Can Make This Blanket in Any Color
Don’t you love the way the blanket stitch looks? Plus, I love how the Parfait Print color changes colors and has hints of pink throughout this baby blanket. What a perfect color for a sweet baby girl! Can you imagine this in soft mint green or pastel blue?
Any color would look perfect for a handmade crochet baby gift, since the whole Baby Soft colorway is just for baby apparel.
Tip: Hold Two Strands Together at Once
This blanket stitch baby blanket works by holding two strands of yarn together simultaneously. I love using this technique because it makes it work up fast and gives it an extra cozy touch. I also used this technique on this blanket stitch pattern too, if you’d like to take a look.
You will be holding the pink and white yarn together for the entire blanket, which I will explain more about below.
The Crochet Blanket Stitch Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- Lion Brand Yarn Baby Soft Yarn
- Color A: Parfait Print or any three weight yarn.
- Color B: White or any three weight yarn.
- Size J crochet hook 6.00 mm
- Yarn needle
- Measuring Tape
Crochet Stitch Abbreviations
- ch(s) = chain(s)
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- dc(s) = double crochet(s)
- sc(s) = single crochet(s)
- sk = skip
- rep = repeat
- The blanket pattern is in US terms
- To make this blanket larger or smaller, always make sure your starting chain it is in a multiple of 3.
- Make the blanket, holding two skeins of yarn (Color A & Color B) together at the same time.
- Looking for a border? Browse through these favorite blanket border selections.
- Stitch counts at the end of the rows will be one less than the starting ch. So for example if you make the lovey and ch 41 your row 1 st count will be 40.
- Purchase an AD-FREE PDF of this pattern.
- Ch 12 x 6 rows – 3.5″ x 3.5″
- Follow pattern below by chaining 12 for 6 rows to check gauge.
Foundation Row: ch a multiple of 3 using the blanket size chart below as a reference, holding together 2 skeins of yarn at once. (Color A & Color B)
Row 1: in the 3rd ch from the hook 2 dcs, * sk 2 chs, in next ch do 1 sc & 2 dcs, repeat from * across until you are left with 3 chs, sk 2 chs, sc in last ch, turn.
Row 2: ch 1 (counts as a sc) in the next st make 2 dcs, *sk 2 sts, in the next st make 1 sc & 2 dcs, rep from * across until you are left with 3 sts, sk 2 sts, sc into the top of the turning ch, turn.
Row 3 -(see chart): Rep row 2 for the remainder of the pattern.
Finishing: Fasten off the yarn and weave in loose ends with a yarn needle.
Size & Yardage Charts
|Lovey||232||1 color A, 1 color B|
|Cradle (Small)||713||1 color A, 1 color B|
|Cradle (Large)||945||2 color A, 2 color B|
|Stroller||1,658||3 color A, 3 color B|
|Crib||1,677||3 color A, 3 color B|
|Receiving||2,525||4 color A, 4 color B|
|Baby||3,430||5 color A, 5 color B|
|Lap||4,239||6 color A, 6 color B|
|Throw||4,914||7 color A, 7 color B|
|Twin||9,307||13 color A, 13 color B|
|Twin XL||9,865||14 color A, 14 color B|
|Full/Double||11,291||16 color A, 16 color B|
|Queen||14,143||20 color A, 20 color B|
|King||16,975||24 color A, 24 color B|
|Cal King||17,630||25 color A, 25 color B|
Share Your Work With Me!
I love to see your creations using the #EasyCrochetCom hashtag on Instagram, so don’t forget to tag me!
I hope you enjoyed this blanket stitch pattern and if you need any clarification, please leave a comment or send me a message through my contact page!
More Free Crochet Baby Blanket & Baby Patterns
Are you looking to make more baby blankets? Explore the Easy Crochet database for over 300 free crochet patterns!
- Easy Crochet Stitches for Baby Blankets
- Granny Stitch Ripple Blanket Baby Pattern
- The Finley Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
- Classic Crochet Patterns for Baby Booties
- The Riley An Easy & Quick Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
- Free Crochet Lovey Pattern Baby Blanket
- Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns for Beginners
- Crochet Baby Granny Stitch Blanket
- Single Stitch Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern