Are you looking for a beautifully textured and easy to crochet baby blanket?
The Finley crocheted baby blanket is the blanket for you! This blanket uses only two basic stitches and works up fast! Plus, the best part is that it can be made in four different baby blanket sizes.
If so, read on down to learn about the yarn I used plus the two easy stitches, so you can make this easy baby blanket! Learn more below about the yarn, stitches, and sizes you can make the Finely blanket in!
I hope you enjoy this pattern and happy crocheting.
I knew I wanted a soft yarn to be used for this baby design. Since this blanket will be next to babies skin, the yarn needed to be cozy. Immediately Heartland Yarn from Lion Brand came to mind!
It is a velvety soft 100% acrylic yarn with drape, which is perfect for blankets that is a worsted weight yarn (aka medium weight yarn). I made this example baby blanket in the color Grand Canyon because it is a neutral shade that would be great for a baby boy or baby girl baby shower gift.
Take a look at the yarn above and check out all the wonderful colors you can make your new baby blanket in. You won’t be disappointed.
Plus, this yarn is machine washable and dryable, which is perfect for blankets that will more than likely need to be washed frequently.
This baby blanket uses only two simple beginner-friendly crochet stitches. You will have to know how to single crochet and double crochet. That’s it!
This baby blanket pattern is worked in a simple repeat of one row of single crochet stitches (sc) and then a row of alternating half double crochets (hdc) and single crochets. The hdc and sc stitch combination create a texture and unique blanket that looks way more complicated than it is to make!
If you’d like a refresher on these crochet stitches, take a peek at the links below that have crochet tutorials and crochet videos for both stitches of this blanket.
Once you feel confident about these basic crochet stitches, then you can start on the free blanket patterns below!
The Baby Blanket Sizes
As I previously mentioned, this baby blanket design can be made in four different blanket sizes.
- Lovey: 12″ x 12“
- Stroller: 35″ x 32“
- Receiving: 40″ x 40“
- Baby: 52″ x 44″
I have the complete yardage and number of skeins you’ll need to make each blanket size below here on the blog as a free pattern.
Finley Baby Blanket Video Tutorial
**If you have an ad-blocker installed, you may not be able to see the video. Please disable the video to see the stitch tutorial.
Enjoy this easy baby blanket pattern and happy blanket making!
The Finley Blanket Crochet Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- Lion Brand’s Heartland Yarn in Grand Canyon or any medium weight #4 yarn (see chart for exact yardage)
- Size H crochet hook 5 mm
- Yarn needle
- Measuring tape
- 15 sts x 15 rows = 4″ x 4″
- The gauge pattern is ch 16 and follow pattern as written
- hdc = half double crochet
- sc = single crochet
- st = stitch
- ch = chain
- This free pattern is written in standard US terms
- Find the complete Finley crochet kit with yarn and pattern at lionbrand.com for sale.
- If you’d like to add a border, take a look at a few of my favorites, that would be a perfect edging for a blanket.
Finished Blanket Sizes & Yardage
- If you’d like to make a custom size blanket, work an even number starting ch
- See chart for standard finished sizes & yardage needed
- The skein used was the 5 oz & 251 yard size.
|Starting Chs||Rows||Total Yardage (skeins)|
|Lovey 12″ x 12″||46||30||190 (1)|
|Stroller 30″ x 35″||120||88||1476 (6)|
|Receiving 40″ x 40″||150||100||2109 (9)|
|Baby 42″ x 52″||166||130||3016 (13)|
The Free Pattern
Get the PDF version in our pattern shop.
To Start: Ch 46 (120, 150, 166)
Sizes available are Lovey, Stroller, Receiving and Baby (see chart)
Row 1: In the second ch from the hook sc, sc into each ch across, turn. 45 (119, 149, 165)
Row 2: Ch 1, in the first st hdc, sc into the next st, *hdc into the next, sc into the next st, rep from * across ending with 1 hdc in the last st, turn.
Row 3: Ch 1, in the first st sc, sc into every st across, turn.
Row 4 to (see chart) : Rep rows 2 & 3
Finishing: Fasten off and weave in loose ends throughout the blanket
Here is the crochet diagram using standard symbols.
You are done!
I hope you enjoy this free baby blanket pattern! If you need any clarification, please feel free to join the Easy Crochet Community on Facebook.
More Free Crochet Baby Patterns
- Easy Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Blanket
- Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern for Spring
- Must Try Easy Crochet Stitches for Baby Blankets
- Granny Stitch Ripple Blanket Baby Pattern
- The Finley Easy Crochet Blanket Pattern
- 10 Classic Crochet Patterns for Baby Booties: Easy and Free
- The Riley: Easy & Quick Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
- Free Crochet Lovey Pattern Baby Blanket
- 18 Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns for Beginners
- Modern Crochet Baby Granny Stitch Blanket
- Single Stitch Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns (All Free!) for Beginners
- 15 Easy Crochet Baby Blankets Free Patterns