If you’ve ever wondered how to crochet a quick and easy crochet baby blanket then this modern design will be the answer you were looking for. The Riley is a beautiful crochet blanket that uses a random stripe pattern to create a one of a kind heirloom baby blanket.
Use the crochet stitch explanations, yarn details and free beginner-friendly pattern to create an adorable crochet baby blanket that you’ll love to crochet over and over.
Keep on scrolling down to find the simple crochet baby blanket pattern and to start crocheting today.
Easy Crochet Stitches For A Baby Blanket
The Riley blanket is an easy, free crochet baby blanket pattern that uses two basic crochet stitches, the half double crochet and double crochet. If you can half double crochet and double crochet then you can crochet this unique baby blanket easily. The whole blanket is worked in a two row stitch repeat of a row of half double crochets and then a row of double crochet clusters so you’ll be able to crochet it fast. Learn more about each crochet stitch below used in the easy blanket.
Half Double Crochet Stitch (HDC)
Use the written tutorial below to learn the HDC stitch for this blanket or watch the HDC video tutorial instead.
- YO (yarn over) Insert hook from front to back of the designated stitch, YO the hook and pick up a loop.
- YO the hook and pull back through all three loops on the hook.
Double Crochet Stitch (DC)
Use the written tutorial below to learn the DC stitch for this baby blanket or watch the DC video tutorial instead.
- Wrap the yarn over (YO) the hook, insert the hook into the specified st.
- YO the hook again, draw the yarn through the st so there are 3 loops on the hook
- YO the hook again draw it through 2 loops so there are 2 loops on the hook
- YO the hook, draw it through the final 2 loops.
The Yarn For this Easy Crochet Baby Blanket
For this baby blanket I used Caron Simply Soft a four weight, 100% acrylic yarn from Yarnspirations that is available in a wide array of colors such as pastel, solids and variegated varieties. You’ll love how soft this yarn is. It crochets up into a cozy blanket that is perfect next to babies sensitive skin.
I knew before I started that I wanted to create a striped blanket, so I could use the new stripe generator here on the blog. I chose three different yarn colors in varying even row widths as shown below in Persimmon, White and Country Blue.
You can add more colors to your blanket or even less if you prefer. A one color baby blanket would mean fewer ends to weave which is a great option for those of us who dislike weaving in yarn ends on multicolored yarn blankets. But, on the other hand a baby blanket with a wide variety of colors and stripes is quite fun.
This baby afghan is easy to customize with any color. You can make a baby boy crochet blanket or baby girl crochet blanket in any color combination you can think of to make a unique baby blanket.
The pattern below creates a baby blanket that is 30 inches by 25 inches and uses 550 yards of yarn.
How I Made this Striped Crochet Baby Blanket
To create the striped design in the Riley baby blanket I used the pattern stripe generator (take a look and be warned you are going to love it!) and made sure to set the rows to have an even number of rows such as 2, 4, 6, 8, etc.
I wanted even rows since the blanket stitch pattern is worked in a row of half double crochets and the double crochet clusters. This way since the rows of the blanket are even we will not have any color changes in the middle of a sequence.
Let’s Get Started
Are you ready to get started on your new favorite baby blanket pattern? Scroll down to find the free beginner-friendly crochet pattern, blanket material list, and more.
If you need some extra help or would prefer a more visual pattern you can find the easy crochet baby blanket video after the written pattern below. (coming soon)
Easy & Free Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- Caron Simply Soft 550 yards (or any medium weight #4 yarn)
- Persimmon – 195 yards
- White – 195 yards
- Country Blue – 160 yards
- Crochet hook size G – 4 mm
- Yarn needle
- Measuring tape
- Approximately 13 sts x 7 rows = 4″ x 4″
- 30″ X 26″
- Written in standard US terms
- Learn how to change yarn colors in crochet with our simple tutorial.
- To change the size use a multiple of 3 +5
- Multiples of 3: 3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27,30,33,36,39,42,45,48,51,54,57,60,63,
Row Color Chart
(follow the same chart below or create your own with our blanket pattern stripe generator)
The number of rows for each color is shown in () in the chart.
FOUNDATION ROW: Ch 86, in 2nd ch from the hook sc, sc in each st across. (85) work in color of choice
Start following color chart shown above
ROW 1: ch 3, in 1st st make a dc, *sk 2 st’s, dc 3 times in next st, repeat from* across ending with 3 st’s, skip 2 and 2 dc’s in the last st, turn.(The turning chains count as a dc in these rows when counting sts)
ROW 2: ch 1, in first st make a hdc, hdc in each st across, end with a hdc in last st, turn. (or the top of the turning chain).
ROW 3: ch 3, in 1st make a dc, *sk 2 st’s, dc 3 times in next st, repeat from* across ending with 3 st’s, skip 2 and 2 dc in the last st, turn. (The turning chains count as stitches in these rows when counting)
ROWS 4–51: rep row 2 and 3 as indicated in the color row chart above.
FINISHING: Weave in loose ends throughout the pattern with a yarn needle.
I hope you enjoyed this free crochet baby blanket pattern! If you prefer to add a crochet border on a baby blanket check out my blanket edging tutorial.
If you make this blanket please share it over in the Easy Crochet Facebook group! We are nice. Promise.
More Free Crochet Baby Patterns
- Granny Stitch Ripple Blanket Baby Pattern
- Finley Crochet Baby Blanket
- Classic Crochet Patterns for Baby Booties
- Riley Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
- Free Crochet Lovey Pattern Baby Blanket
- 11+ Free Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- Modern Granny Stitch Crochet Baby Blanket
- Single Stitch Baby Blanket
- 7 Beginner-Friendly Baby Blanket Crochet Patterns
- 14+ Crochet Baby Blankets Free Patterns
- Two Triangle Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
- Simple Stitch Crochet Baby Blanket
- 5 Easy Blanket Patterns for Baby using Vanna’s Choice Yarn
- Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- Alissa Easy Crochet Blanket Pattern