If you have been looking for an ear warmer crochet pattern then you have come to the right place!
I will explain to you how to make one in seven different sizes and the best part… it’s a free pattern!
Read on down to find the free crochet pattern or purchase a PDF version in the Easy Crochet Shop!
Are you planning on making a few different types of ear warmers?
This headband is a great first project to try when learning how to work in the round. I’d recommend using the correct gauge (stitches per inch) for the proper fit.
If this headband is crocheted loosely it will be too big and if it is crocheted tightly it will be too small.
Learn more about gauge if you’d like a refresher.
Happy Ear Warmer Making!
This Tutorial Is Simple and Great for New Crocheters!
This simple pattern is quick to work up, easy to make (simple stitches!) and would be perfect for giving as a gift!
Because of the simple stitches, this truly is a great ear warmer pattern for beginners to try who wants to make something in the round to try.
Scroll on down to check out the crochet headband pattern to get started.
Chained Crochet Earwarmer Pattern
Before we get started, I wanted to mention that this crochet headband pattern is part of a more extensive list of awesome designs that were released this month called Project Crochet!
(You can find the links to all their projects at the bottom of this post)
My contribution to this collection is the chained crochet headband pattern (Or ear warmer depending on what you prefer to call it) which is a simple pattern that takes little time to make.
The Yarn That’s Perfect for This Crochet Headband
When deciding on what yarn to use I choose one of my favorites Lion Brand Woolspun because it’s soft, comfortable to work with and comes in a variety of beautiful colors!
Did I mention that it is an extremely warm and cozy yarn! I highly suggest using this yarn because it really will make this the best chunky crochet ear warmer pattern!
If you can’t find this yarn then I suggest trying Color Made Easy by Lion Brand which is a very similar yarn. It has a lot of the same texture and is about the same thickness so it would work great for this pattern!
Click the yarn image below to check out these yarns!
There Is Enough Yarn to Make Two Headbands
Plus, as a bonus, there is enough yarn in each skein that you can make at least two headbands out of it! It’s a win-win! This comfortable crochet ear warmer is extremely simple to make because I only used the half double crochet stitch and single crochet stitch which makes this headband work up pretty fast!
Learn more about each crochet stitch below.
The simple stitches also make it a perfect beginner-friendly project! I think it would be an ideal pattern to start with for someone who is just learning how to crochet in the round.
Do You Want a PDF Instead?
There are a couple of ways to support us. First by purchasing your very own copy of our NEW crochet pattern E-book.
Secondly, by buying a stand-alone PDF version of this chained ear warmer pattern that comes with seven different sizes.
Otherwise, you can still find the free pattern here on the blog below.
Ready to Get Started?
If you think you are ready to learn how to crochet a headband ear warmer, then keep on scrolling on down to find the FREE pattern and photo tutorial!
Free Crochet Earwarmer Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- Crochet hook J 6.00 and I 5.5 mm
- Lions Brand Wool Spun in Linen or Color Made Easy by Lion Brand or any bulky yarn (5) See yardage chart below for each size.
- Yarn needle
- Tip: If you’d like a more in-depth look at the stitches used in the pattern be sure to check out my tutorial on how-to crochet.
- Each size is listed after the end of each round in ()
- Written in standard US terms
- sc = single crochet
- hdc = half double crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- ch = chain
- rep = repeat
- st = stitch
- bl = back loop
- This pattern is written in 7 standard sizes, but can easily be customized for any size by subtracting or adding any # of stitches.
- The Ad- FREE PDF has all these listed for your convenience! “Buy Now“
Please read this part!
- 12 stitches x 9 rows = 4”
- You will need to make sure you have 12 stitches for every 4 inches of the headband for the correct fit.
- Gauge is very important for proper sizing – Learn more about what gauge is and why it is so important here.
- I get many messages saying this headband is too small or too big. Correct gauge and proper weight of yarn will need to be used as suggested in the pattern to get the headband to fit as written.
Headband Size Chart & Yardage
The Pattern Steps
Sizes listed are as follows: Preemie (Baby, Toddler, Child, Tween, Woman, Man)
Round 1: With the 5.5 mm hook ch 36 (42,48,54,60,63,66), sl st to first ch forming a circle, making sure not to twist ch.
Round 2: With the 6 mm hook ch 1, hdc in every st around, sl st to the top of first hdc NOT the ch. 36 (42,48,54,60,63,66)
Round 3: ch 1, sc in every st around in the bl only , sl st to the top of first sc, not the ch 1. 36 (42,48,54,60,63,66)
Round 4: rep round 2.
Round 5: rep round 3.
Round 6: rep round 2.
Round 7: rep round 3
Round 8: rep round 2.
Round 9: rep round 3. do not fasten off.
Finishing: Without fastening off ch 25 (this is still connected to the ear warmer) then wrap around the seam of the ear warmer 3 times, sl st to top of the first hdc of last round, fasten off and weave in loose ends throughout!
I hope you enjoy making this crochet ear warmer pattern for beginners! Now that you are a pro at headband making why now whip up some of these quick crochet ear-warmers for everyone you know!
You May Also Like These Other Crochet Favorites
Connect With Us!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me on my Facebook page! If you liked this crochet headband, then you may also like my other pattern below that is quite similar!
Related Pattern: Knotted Crochet Headband
Below is the awesome list of other great crochet projects so don’t forget to check them out!
- Crochet X Pillow Pattern | Persia Lou
- Learn To Crochet eBook | Twin Dragonfly Designs
- Crochet On Edge Fleece Blanket Tutorial | the Friendly Red Fox
- Crochet Chained Ear Warmer | Easy Crochet
- Fabulous Free Crochet Patterns | Seven Thirty-Three
- Cozy Striped Crochet Infinity Scarf | Flamingo Toes
- Crochet Hooded Cowl | Sugar Bee Crafts
- Crochet Pillow Cover | Seven Alive (no longer available)