If you have been looking for an ear warmer crochet pattern, then you have come to the right place! I will explain how to make this ear warmer in seven different headband sizes. Also, the best part is that the pattern is free!
Our free crochet ear warmer pattern can be found below. Also, you can purchase the PDF version in the Easy Crochet Shop.
Are you planning on making a few different types of ear warmers? Maybe you have already crocheted an ear warmer but want to try a new pattern? If you are looking for additional patterns, I would suggest that you try the free knotted headband, the wrapped ear warmer, or explore the Easy Crochet archives for more free patterns.
Happy ear warmer making! This pattern is easy, fun, and sure to please. You can make ear warmers for yourself, your family, or as gifts for friends and loved ones. These ear warmers not only look great but are soft and comfortable to wear.
This Tutorial Is Simple and Great for New Crocheters!
The ear warmer is a great first project to try when you are beginning to learn how to work in the round. However, I would recommend using the correct gauge, or stitches per inch, for the proper fit. This is a really important step for this project. If this ear warmer is crocheted too loosely, it will be too big. Additionally, if the ear warmer it is crocheted too tightly, it will be too small. You can learn more about gauge here, if you would like a refresher or are new to crochet.
This simple pattern is quick to work up, easy to make because it uses basic stitches, and would be perfect for giving as a gift! The simple stitches in this ear warmer pattern make this project an excellent choice for beginners to try, especially for those who want to make something in the round. The ear warmer crochet pattern can be found below, so you can get started on this fun and easy project.
Chained Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern
Before we get started, it is important for me to mention that this crochet ear warmer pattern is part of a more extensive list of awesome designs. These designs were released this month under Project Crochet. You can find the links to all their projects at the bottom of this post.
My contribution to this collection is the chained crochet headband pattern, or ear warmer, depending on what you prefer to call it. This is a simple pattern that takes little time to make. It is a fun project to whip up for both beginners and advanced crocheters.
The Perfect Yarn for This Crochet Headband
When deciding on which yarn to use, I chose one of my favorites, Lion Brand Woolspun. This yarn is soft, comfortable to work with, and comes in a variety of beautiful colors. So, I felt that it was a perfect choice. Did I mention that it is a warm and cozy yarn? I highly suggest using this yarn, because it really is the best choice for this chunky, crochet, ear warmer pattern.
If you are having trouble finding this yarn, then I suggest trying Color Made Easy by Lion Brand, which is a very similar yarn. It has a lot of the same texture and is about the same thickness, so it would work great for this pattern. Click the yarn images below to check out these yarns! This may help you choose the perfect yarn for your ear warmer.
Enough Yarn to Make Two Ear Warmers
Plus, as a bonus, there is enough yarn in each skein that you can make at least two ear warmers out of it. This is a win-win for any crochet project! The pattern for this comfortable, crochet, ear warmer is simple to make, because I only used the half double crochet stitch and single crochet stitch. So, this ear warmer will work up pretty fast! You also get more than one ear warmer from each skein of yar, so it is a cost effective project, too.
Learn more about each crochet stitch below.
The simple stitches in this pattern make it a perfect, beginner-friendly project. I think it would be an ideal pattern to start with for someone who is just learning how to crochet in the round. This pattern will work up quickly for beginners and advanced crocheters alike.
How Do I Get the Ear Warmer Crochet Pattern?
There are a couple of ways to support us. First, you can purchase your very own copy of our NEW crochet pattern E-book. Second, you can purchase a stand-alone PDF version of this chained ear warmer pattern that comes with seven different sizes. Otherwise, you can still find the free pattern here on the blog below.
Are you ready to learn how to crochet a headband ear warmer? Then, scroll down to find the FREE pattern and photo tutorial!
Free Pattern: Crochet Ear Warmer/ Headband
Skill Level: Easy
- Crochet hook J 6.00 and I 5.5 mm
- Lion Brand Wool Spun in Linen, Color Made Easy by Lion Brand, or any bulky yarn (5). See yardage chart below for each size.
- Yarn needle
- Tip: If you would like a more in-depth look at the stitches used in the pattern, then be sure to check out my tutorial on how-to crochet.
- Each size is listed after the end of each round in ().
- Written in standard U.S. terms.
- sc = single crochet
- hdc = half double crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- ch = chain
- rep = repeat
- st = stitch
- bl = back loop
- This pattern is written in 7 standard sizes, but it can easily be customized for any size by subtracting or adding any # of stitches.
- The ad-free PDF has all of these sizes listed for your convenience. Click on this link to purchase the PDF: “Buy Now.”
Please read this part!
- 12 stitches x 9 rows = 4”
- You will need to make sure you have 12 stitches for every 4 inches of the headband for the correct fit.
- Gauge is very important for proper sizing. Need a refresher on gauge? You can learn more about what gauge is and why it is so important here.
- I receive many messages saying this headband is too small or too big. In order to guarantee that the headband fits as it is written, the correct gauge and proper weight of yarn must be used, as listed in the pattern.
Headband Size Chart & Yardage
The Pattern Steps
The sizes listed are as follows: preemie, baby, toddler, child, tween, woman, man.
Round 1: With the 5.5 mm hook ch 36 (42,48,54,60,63,66), sl st to first ch forming a circle, making sure not to twist ch.
Round 2: With the 6 mm hook, ch 1, hdc in every st around, sl st to the top of first hdc NOT the ch. 36 (42,48,54,60,63,66)
Round 3: ch 1, sc in every st around in the bl only, sl st to the top of first sc, not the ch 1. 36 (42,48,54,60,63,66)
Round 4: rep round 2.
Round 5: rep round 3.
Round 6: rep round 2.
Round 7: rep round 3.
Round 8: rep round 2.
Round 9: rep round 3. Do not fasten off.
Finishing: Without fastening off ch 25 (this is still connected to the ear warmer) then wrap around the seam of the ear warmer 3 times, sl st to top of the first hdc of last round, fasten off and weave in loose ends throughout!
I hope you enjoy making this crochet ear warmer pattern. It is an easy pattern for any level of crocheter. Now that you are a pro at headband making, why not whip up some of these quick crochet ear warmers for everyone you know?
You May Also Like These Other Crochet Favorites
Connect with Us!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me on my Facebook page. If you liked this crochet headband, then you might also like my other pattern below that is quite similar.
Related Pattern: Knotted Crochet Headband
The following list is full of other awesome crochet projects, so be sure to check them out!
- Crochet X Pillow Pattern | Persia Lou
- Learn To Crochet eBook | Twin Dragonfly Designs
- Crochet On Edge Fleece Blanket Tutorial | the Friendly Red Fox
- Crochet Chained Ear Warmer | Easy Crochet
- Fabulous Free Crochet Patterns | Seven Thirty-Three
- Cozy Striped Crochet Infinity Scarf | Flamingo Toes
- Crochet Hooded Cowl | Sugar Bee Crafts
- Crochet Pillow Cover | Seven Alive (no longer available)