If you are looking for a quick hat pattern that is perfect for winter, then beanie pattern is for you! I decided to name this latest design the Dreaming of Winter Crochet Beanie after my constant need to want to make all the things for the cool weather that inevitably happens every year here in Pennsylvania.
As a crocheter, I am already dreaming of winter and all the hat patterns I can create with my ever-growing yarn stash. When the cool weather hits, it gets me in the mood to buy all the yarn! Can you relate?
Read on down to find the FREE winter crochet beanie pattern and learn a bit about the yarn I used!
How to Crochet a Winter Beanie
Learn all about the yarn and the stitches you’ll need to know to be able to crochet a winter beanie as shown.
This pattern is written to work well with Lion Brand Heartland yarn, which is very “soft” to work with. It has a nice flow over a hook and doesn’t get caught or snag (in my opinion).
It is a 100% acrylic yarn and easy to find in most local craft stores, Walmart and online. Let’s not forget about the 30+ colors and styles this yarn is available in, which means you can truly make this hat your own.
You could use a different yarn if you prefer and get the same results as long as the weight and gauge is similar. I suggest trying Vanna’s Choice. by Lion Brand Yarn or Caron Simply Soft by Yarnspirations. Both are good choices and a good match as a substitution in terms of yarn weight.
This particular design has a lot of texture versus a typical hdc or dc beanie pattern, which makes it a fun alternative to the norm. We will be using a front post double crochet (fpdc) mixed with double crochets to create a unique hat design that looks harder than it is to make.
Learn more about these and the other crochet stitches used below.
- Double Crochet (dc)
- Front Post Double Crochet (fpdc)
- Single Crochet (sc)
- Slip Stitch (sl st)
- Chain (ch)
I promise, you can do this! If you’d like some extra help with the fpdc I linked up a tutorial above.
That’s enough chit-chat! I hope you love the free Dreaming of Winter Crochet Beanie Pattern! Read on down for the free pattern and picture tutorial.
The Beanie Pattern Details
Skill Level: Intermediate
- Lion Brand Heartland Yarn in the color Acadia – approximately 125 yards or any medium weight four yarn (aka worsted weight yarn)
- I 5.5 mm crochet hook size
- Yarn needle
- Measuring tape
- You MAY sell items made from this pattern. If you choose to sell items made from any of my patterns, please link back to me at easycrochet.com for credit. Do not use my photos to sell any items. Thank you for respecting my work.
- Finished size: 8″ length and 20″ circumference (but easily stretches if needed)
- Ch 3’s do NOT count as a stitch
- ch = chain
- dc = double crochet
- sc = single crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- st = stitch
- fpdc = front post double crochet
- sk = skip
Dreaming of Winter Crochet Beanie Pattern
by Easy Crochet
Round 1: ch 3, 12 dc in 3rd ch from hook, sl st to top of first dc. (12)
Round 2: ch 3, * 2 fpdc’s around first dc from previous round, repeat from * around, sl st to top of first fpdc. (24)
Round 3: ch 3, *dc, fpdc around same st as dc, repeat from * around, sl st to top of first dc. (48)
Round 4: ch 3, sk the first st, fpdc around the next st, go back to the skip st and fpdc (forms a crisscross), *sk a st, fpdc around the next st, go back to sk st and fpdc around that st, repeat from * around, ending with a fpdc around the ch 3 from the previous round and finish with a fpdc around the last st of the round, sl st to top of first st.
Round 5: ch 3, dc 2 times in between criss cross and every criss cross around, sl st to top of first dc.
Round 6: ch 3, sk the firs st, fpdc around the next, go back to the sk st and fpdc * sk a st, fpdc around the next st, go back to sk st and fpdc around that st, repeat from * around end with a sl st to the top of the first st.
Round 7-16: alternate round 5 & 6
Round 17: ch 1, sc, sc into top of every st around, sl st to top of first sc.
Round 18-19: repeat round 17.
Finishing: fasten off securely after round 19 and weave in loose ends with a yarn needle.
I hope you enjoyed this Dreaming of Winter Crochet Beanie Pattern. If you need any clarification, please feel free to ask! I am more than happy to assist in any way possible.
More Free Crochet Patterns
Below you will find FREE crochet patterns and tutorials to enjoy!
- Easy Crochet Hat Pattern for Beginners
- 13 Adorable Crochet Cat Hat Patterns
- Winter Crochet Beanie Pattern
- Free and Easy Crochet Sun Hat Patterns for Summer
- 11 Easy Crochet Ribbed Beanie Patterns
- 10 Cute Crochet Dog Hat Patterns to Make For Your Pup
- 14 Free Crochet Beret Patterns
- Neon Rainbow Striped Crochet Hat
- 7 Easy-to-Follow Slouchy Hat Crochet Patterns You’ll Love
- 7 Free Crochet Hat Patterns Using Chunky Yarn
- 6 Easy Crochet Hat Patterns for Beginners
- Crochet Beanie Hat with Pom Pom (Free Pattern)