If you are looking for a quick hat pattern that is perfect for winter then beanie pattern is for you! I decided to name this latest design the Dreaming of Winter Crochet Beanie after my constant need to want to make all the things for the cool weather that inevitably happens every year here in Pennsylvania.
As a crocheter I am already dreaming of winter and all the hat patterns I can create with my ever-growing yarn stash. When the cool weather hits it gets me in the mood to buy all the yarn! Can you relate?
Read on down to find the FREE winter crochet beanie pattern and learn a bit about the yarn I used!
The Yarn For a Soft Crochet Beanie
This pattern is written to work well with Red Heart Soft yarn, which is true to its name and is very “soft” to work with. It has a nice flow over a hook and doesn’t get caught or snag (in my opinion). It is a 100% acrylic yarn and quite easy to find in most local craft stores, Walmart and online. Let’s not forget about the 50+ colors and styles this yarn is available in which means you can truly make this hat your own.
You could use a different yarn if you prefer and get the same results as long as the weight and gauge is similar. I suggest trying Vanna’s Choice. by Lion Brand Yarn or Caron Simply Soft by Yarnspirations. Both are good choices and a good match as a substitution in terms of yarn weight.
If you’d like to take a look at this yarn in a bigger project I can help you there. I have used it in the past to make a blanket like my Simple Striped Blanket. This blanket has lasted years and my son still sleeps with every night because it is so soft!
Enjoy This Simple Winter Beanie!
This particular design has a lot of texture versus a typical hdc or dc beanie pattern which makes it a fun alternative to the norm. We will be using a front post double crochet (fpdc) mixed with double crochets to create a unique hat design that looks harder than it is to make. I promise you can do this! If you’d ilke some extra help with the fpdc I linked up a tutorial above.
That’s enough chit-chat! I hope you love the free Dreaming of Winter Crochet Beanie Pattern! Read on down for the free pattern and picture tutorial.
The Beanie Pattern Details
Skill Level: Intermediate
- Red Heart Soft Yarn in off-white – approximately 125 yards or any medium weight four yarn
- Crochet hook size J – 6.00 mm
- Yarn needle
- You MAY sell items made from this pattern. If you choose to sell items made from any of my patterns please link back to me at easycrochet.com for credit. Do not use my photos to sell any items. Thank you for respecting my work.
- Finished size: Child/ Teen: 8″ length and 20″ circumference (but easily stretches if needed)
- Ch 3’s do NOT count as a stitch
- ch = chain
- dc = double crochet
- sc = single crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- st = stitch
- fpdc = front post double crochet How to do front & back post stitches
- sk = skip
Dreaming of Winter Crochet Beanie Pattern
by Easy Crochet
Round 1: ch 3, 12 dc in 3rd ch from hook, sl st to top of first dc. (12)
Round 2: ch 3, * 2 fpdc’s around first dc from previous round, repeat from * around, sl st to top of first fpdc. (24)
Round 3: ch 3, *dc, fpdc around same st as dc, repeat from * around, sl st to top of first dc. (48)
Round 4: ch 3, fpdc around second st from previous round, go back and fpdc around the first st from previous round(forms a criss cross), *skip 1 st, fpdc around next st from previous round, go back to sk st and fpdc around that st, repeat from * around, sl st to top of first st. (48)
Round 5: ch 3, dc 2 times in between criss cross and every criss cross around (see picture example), sl st to top of first dc. (48)
Round 6-15: alternate round 4 & 5 (48)
Round 16: ch 1, sc, sc into top of every st around, sl st to top of first sc. (48)
Round 17-19: repeat round 16. (48)
Finishing: fasten off securely after round 19 and weave in loose ends with yarn needle.
Have Any Questions? Please Feel Free to Ask!
I hope you enjoyed this Dreaming of Winter Crochet Beanie Pattern. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I am more than happy to assist in any way possible.
More Free Crochet Patterns
Below you will find FREE crochet patterns and tutorials to enjoy!
- Ombre Crochet Neck Warmer Cowl Pattern
- Must Try Textured Crochet Stitches
- Festive Crochet Christmas Tree Hat Patterns
- 12+ Awesome & Unique Gifts to Buy for Crocheters in 2020
- Awesome Zig Zag Crochet Patterns to Try
- Williams Puff Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Crochet Scarves to Make for Christmas
- Must Make Crochet Steering Wheel Covers
- Cute Crochet Ideas for Every Skill Level
- Patterns for Crochet Curtains
- Mini Crochet Pumpkin Pattern
- Easy Crochet Projects You Can Finish in One Weekend