The Fiona crochet beanie pattern is perfect for beginners and uses only basic crochet stitches. You’ll only need to know a few beginner-friendly stitches and you’ll be good to go!
I hope you love this simple design because it was works up fast which means you can move on to the next project on your list!
Want to make one asap?
Scroll on down to get the free crochet beanie pattern for an older child.
The Yarn That’s Perfect for This Crochet Beanie
To make the Fiona I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in Gray Marble (80% wool, 20% acrylic) which is one of my favorites! If you haven’t had the chance to work with this yarn, it is a super bulky and soft yarn that has a beautiful natural-looking tone to it.
You’ll love it! You can find it in a variety of colors so it definitely is a must-try! Check the WET&Q yarn out below.
Substitute Yarn: If you’d like to use a yarn that doesn’t contain wool I recommend using Hometown Yarn which is also from Lion Brand. It is 100% acrylic, a super bulky #6 weight and works up similar to WET&Q.
Great Beanie for Beginner Crocheters!
This hat is great for beginners who would like to try something a little harder but still pretty easy! I would recommend this hat to any level crocheter for sure because of the easy crochet stitches used.
Keep in mind the gauge when you are crocheting this hat. You’ll find that information in the pattern section below. If you crochet too tight your hat will be small and if you crochet loosely, then the hat will be bigger than wanted.
My best advice is to stick as closely to the gauge as recommended which sometimes means you’ll need to change the crochet hook size to get the gauge that is needed. Experiment with it and see what works best for you.
If you are ready to make the Fiona then keep on reading for the free pattern!
Happy Crocheting Friends!
Fiona Crochet Beanie Hat Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- Less than 1 skein of Lion Brand Yarn Wool-Ease Thick and Quick Yarn in Grey Marble or any super bulky #6 weight yarn
- Crochet hook size N 9.00 mm (or whatever hook is needed for gauge)
- Yarn needle
- sc = single crochet
- dc = double crochet
- tc = triple crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- ch = chain
- bl = back loop
- Written in standard US terms.
- Gauge is .75 inches for every st of the pattern.
- Approximately 7 ½ inch in length and 22 inch circumference which will fit an older child.
The Free Beanie Crochet Pattern Steps
Begin: ch 2
Round 1: 10 sc in 2nd ch from hook, sl st last st to first st (10)
Round 2: ch 2, * dc, tc in first st, repeat from * for a total of 10 times, sl st into first st of the round. (20)
Round 3: ch 2, * dc in next st, tc, dc in next st. repeat from * around, sl st into the first st of the round. (30)
Round 4: ch 2, * dc in next st, tc in next st, repeat from * around, sl st into the first st of the round. (30)
Round 5: repeat 4
Round 6: repeat 4
Round 7: ch 1, * sc in next st, sc in bl of next st, repeat from * around, sl st into first st of the round. (30)
Round 8: ch 1, * sc in bl of next st, sc in next st, repeat from * around, sl st into the first st of the round. (30)
Finishing: Finish off my weaving in loose ends with your yarn needle.
You are done!!
I hope you enjoy making this Fiona crochet beanie pattern and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me on my Facebook page!!
More Free Crochet Hat & Headband Patterns
Want more patterns like this? Browse through this collection of free headband and hat crochet patterns below.
- 7+ Crochet Slouch Hat Patterns
- Chunky Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern
- Easy Crochet Hair Scrunchie
- Crochet Twist Headband Pattern
- Crochet Face Mask Patterns
- Ear Warmer Headband Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Velvet Headband Pattern
- Crochet Scrunchies Pattern Yarn Scrunchie
- Free & Easy Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern
- Leigh #HatNotHate Hat Crochet Pattern
- Williams Crochet Hat Pattern
- Snowy Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern for Beginners
- Free Puff Crochet Headband Pattern