10 Best Crochet Bandana Patterns: Free
Crochet bandanas are a great accessory to have on hand. Not only are they stylish, but they can also be functional by keeping your hair out of your face or providing protection from the sun. They can go my the names’ kerchief, headscarf as well as the common term bandana.
In this post, we’ll explore a collection of free crochet bandana patterns that range from easy to advanced. Each pattern includes materials needed and step-by-step instructions to make it easy for even beginner crocheters to follow along.
Best of all, you can crochet a bandana for free with these amazing free crochet bandana patterns below.
How to Crochet A Bandana
To crochet a bandana, you should have a basic understanding of crochet techniques. Here are some skills that are helpful to know:
- Chain Stitch: The chain stitch is the foundation of crochet and is used to create a base row.
- Single Crochet: The single crochet stitch is the most basic stitch in crochet and is the shortest of all the stitches.
- Double Crochet: The double crochet stitch is taller than the single crochet and creates a looser texture.
- Increasing and Decreasing: Increasing and decreasing stitches are used to shape your crochet project and create a specific pattern.
- Crochet Terminology: It’s important to understand basic crochet terminology such as “ch” for chain, “sc” for single crochet, “dc” for double crochet, and “sl st” for slip stitch.
- Reading Patterns: Bandana patterns are written instructions that include specific stitches, counts, and rounds. Being able to read and understand these patterns is essential to creating a successful bandana.
You should know that there are different levels of difficulty for crochet bandana patterns. If you are a beginner, it’s best to start with a simple pattern and work your way up to more complicated designs as you get better at it.
Supplies for Bandana Patterns
The materials needed for a crochet bandana may vary depending on the specific pattern you are following. However, here are some common materials you might need:
- Yarn: Choose a yarn that matches the weight and texture required for your pattern. For example, a cotton or acrylic yarn is commonly used for a lightweight summer bandana.
- Crochet Hook: The size of your hook will depend on the weight of your yarn and the pattern you are using.
- Scissors: A sharp pair of scissors will be needed to cut the yarn. My favorites are stork scissors.
- Tapestry Needle: Used to weave in the ends of the yarn and finish off the bandana.
- Stitch Markers: Stitch markers are helpful for marking the beginning and end of each round or row in your pattern.
- Measuring Tape: Useful for measuring your progress and ensuring your bandana is the correct size.
- Button or Toggle (if needed): Some bandana patterns require a button or toggle to hold the bandana in place, so make sure to have this on hand if needed.
- Beads, sequins or other embellishments (optional): You can use beads, sequins or other embellishments to add some personal flair to your bandana.
Always make sure to check your pattern for specific materials needed before you begin your project.
Free Crochet Bandana Patterns
Crochet Checkered Triangle Hair Scarf Pattern
Learn how to crochet a bandana using the C2C technique! It works up quickly and creates a great texture!
Yarn: #4 Weight
Beginner Crochet Granny Triangle Bandana - Free Pattern + Video Tutorial
If you can single crochet and double crochet, then you can make this simple bandana pattern! If you have ever made a crochet shawl, then this is just a smaller version of that!
Yarn: Fine #2 Weight
Easy Crochet Bandana (Free Pattern & Video Tutorial!)
Learn how to crochet this easy crochet bandana with this free pattern that features a video tutorial as well! You'll love how easy this bandana scarf is to make. Promise!
Yarn: Any #4 weight (worsted or medium)
Lazy Summer Kerchief
This pattern uses a hair band instead of ties to make a traditional kerchief look like a bandana.
Yarn: #2 Weight
Granny Bandana (Free Crochet Pattern)
This crochet granny square bandana is perfect to crochet if you want something that is classic and perfect for Summer.
Yarn: DK or Lightweight #3
Free Crochet Lacy Headscarf Bandana Pattern
This bandana has built in ties, so it works great for short and long hair! They are great to accessorize with any summer outfit or to use when working in the garden or outside.
Yarn: #1 Fingering
Free Crochet Pattern: Bobble Kerchief Bandana
You can crochet this modern bandana pattern using this free crochet pattern! It is simple to make and works up very quickly.
Yarn: DK #3 Lightweight
Crochet The Lorelei Bandana
This bandana is a fun and easy crochet project to make. Plus, you can use the bandana video tutorial if you'd like some extra guidance as well!
Yarn: DK #3 Lightweight
Tunisian Crochet Bandana Free Pattern
Make this extra cut Tunisian bandana that is perfect for a dog or for you too! You can make a matching set!
Yarn: Light weight #3
Free lace crochet hair kerchief bandana pattern!
Make this lacy bandana pattern that features a simple to make lace design!
Yarn: #1 Super Fine