You can learn how to crochet a scrunchie with this free crochet scunchie pattern and easy tutorial. Not only are scrunchies a fun 80s and 90s style, they are also quick to make as well as a perfect project for beginners to crochet.
Keep on reading down to learn how to make a scrunchie using jumbo chunky yarn with our free tutorial.
How to Crochet a Scrunchie
To make a crochet hair scrunchie, you will need a hair tie, yarn and a crochet hook as well as knowledge of one crochet stitch. If you can half double crochet, then you can make this fun DIY hair accessory no problem.
Materials for a Scrunchie:
Hair Tie: A regular hair tie is fine, but I suggest getting the ones without metal, so the yarn won’t snag. If you use lighter yarn use a lighter colored hair tie and the same goes for darker yarn and a darker hair tie.
Yarn: I used a jumbo #7 weight yarn called Bernat Blanket Extra. You are going to love how this jumbo yarn makes the ultimate chunky yarn crochet scrunchie. I used left over scrap yarn from the weighted crochet blanket I designed for the tutorial below.
Crochet Hook: You’ll want a 9 mm or 10 mm crochet hook to work with the chunkier yarn. Since this is a quick project, you could make one of these scrunchies using each size to see which one you like best.
Stitches for a Scrunchie:
The whole scrunchie pattern will be worked using the hdc stitch in the round, which means you will work a certain amount of hdc’s followed by a slip stitch to the first hdc to complete or join the round.
Half Double Crochet (hdc):
- YO (yarn over) Insert hook from front to back of the designated stitch, YO the hook and pick up a loop.
- YO the hook and pull back through all three loops on the hook.
Crochet Hair Scunchie Tutorial
Now that you’ve learned about all the yarn you’ll need to make a scrunchie and the simple crochet stitch, you are ready to get started on your very own DIY hair scrunchie!
Easy Crochet Scrunchie Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- < 30 yards of Bernat Blanket Extra in Vintage White or any jumbo weight #7 yarn
- Crochet hook 9 mm or 10 mm
- Hair tie without metal
- Approximately 4.5″ X 4.5″ (in inches)
Crochet Stitch Abbreviations
- hdc = half double crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- Written in standard US terms
The Scrunchie Pattern
To Start: Attach yarn to hair tie.
Next: Hdc around hair tie for approx. 18-20 times or whatever amount is desired to cover hair tie.
Next: Sl st to the top of the first hdc.
Finishing: Cut yarn
Next: Tie the two loose ends together twice to secure yarn.
Finally, trim the tied ends with the scissors.
You are now done with your very own DIY crochet hair scrunchies! Now just wear on your wrist or in your hair. Enjoy!
More Free Crochet Patterns
- Learn How to Crochet an Afghan Pattern
- Free C2C Crochet Graphgan Patterns
- Free Christmas Crochet Blanket Patterns
- Textured Crochet Afghan Pattern (+7 Sizes!)
- Modern Square Blanket Pattern
- Bobble Crochet Baby Blanket (+7 Bonus Sizes)
- Textured Puff Stitch Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Corner to Corner Heart Blanket for Baby
- Warm Up America Crochet Rectangle #2
- Warm Up America Textured Crochet Rectangle #1
- How to Crochet a Classic Granny Square
- Ombre Classic Crochet Blanket Pattern