You can learn how to crochet a beginner-friendly crochet scrunchie with this free and easy tutorial. Not only are scrunchies a fun nostalgic project they are also quick to make!
Keep on reading down to learn how to make a chunky crochet scrunchie using jumbo yarn and simple crochet stitches.
How to Crochet a Scrunchie
To make a crocheted scrunchie you will need a hair tie, yarn and a crochet hook as well as knowledge of one crochet stitch. If you can half double crochet, then you can make these scrunchies with no problem.
Materials for a Scrunchie:
Hair Tie: A regular hair tie is fine, but I suggest getting the ones without metal, so the yarn won’t snag. If you use lighter yarn use a lighter colored hair tie and the same goes for darker yarn and a darker hair tie.
Yarn: I used a jumbo #7 weight yarn called Bernat Blanket Extra. You are going to love how this jumbo yarn makes the ultimate chunky yarn crochet scrunchie. I used left over scrap yarn from the weighted crochet blanket I designed for the tutorial below.
Crochet Hook: You’ll want a 9 mm or 10 mm crochet hook to work with the chunkier yarn. Since this is a quick project you could make one of these scrunchies using each size to see which one you like best.
Stitches for a Scrunchie:
The whole scrunchie pattern will be worked using hdc in the round which means you will work a certain amount of hdc’s followed by a slip stitch to the first hdc to complete or join the round.
Half Double Crochet (hdc):
- YO (yarn over) Insert hook from front to back of the designated stitch, YO the hook and pick up a loop.
- YO the hook and pull back through all three loops on the hook.
Ready to Get Started?
Now that you know about all the supplies to make a scrunchie with and the one simple stitch you are ready to get started. You’ll love how easy to make a DIY hair scrunchie!
Easy Crochet Scrunchie Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- < 30 yards of Bernat Blanket Extra in Vintage White or any jumbo weight #7 yarn
- Crochet hook 9 mm or 10 mm
- Hair tie without metal
- Approximately 4.5″ X 4.5″ (in inches)
Crochet Stitch Abbreviations
- hdc = half double crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- Written in standard US terms
The Scrunchie Pattern
To Start: Attach yarn to hair tie.
Next: Hdc around hair tie for approx. 18-20 times or whatever amount is desired to cover hair tie.
Next: Sl st to the top of the first hdc.
Finishing: Cut yarn
Next: Tie the two loose ends together twice to secure yarn.
Finally, trim the tied ends with the scissors.
You are now done with your very own DIY crochet hair scrunchies! Now just wear on your wrist or in your hair. Enjoy!
More Free Crochet Patterns
- Warm Up America Half Double Crochet Rectangle #2
- Warm Up America Textured Crochet Rectangle #1
- How to Crochet a Classic Granny Square
- Ombre Classic Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Crochet Weighted Blanket using Bernat Blanket Extra
- Easy Crochet Baby Blanket with Ripples
- Falling In Striped Crochet Blanket Pattern
- The Andy Crochet Throw Blanket
- Emily Chunky Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Granny Stitch Ripple Blanket Baby Pattern
- Finley Crochet Baby Blanket
- Riley Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern