Are you new to crochet? Are you looking for a great first project?
I can help you learn how to crochet a scarf with the pattern below! Promise!
I am so excited for you to learn this simple beginner-friendly pattern!
How to Crochet a Scarf for Beginners
To learn how to crochet this beginner-friendly scarf, you will need to be familiar with two of my guides! Take a look at the links below before you get started.
Use Only The Single Crochet Stitch for This Scarf
This crochet scarf is excellent for new crocheters because it uses a single stitch! The single crochet! You can master this stitch quickly and have a new scarf super fast!
Learn all about the single crochet in this post or on my YouTube Channel!
Once you master the single crochet, then you are ready to make your scarf!
But first, let’s learn about the yarn that you’ll need to have handy to make this scarf. Keep on scrolling new crochet friends!
The Yarn That You’ll Need for This Easy Scarf Pattern
For this easy crochet scarf, I highly suggest using Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick.
It is a bulky six yarn that is so cozy and makes any pattern work up super fast! I can promise you’ll love this one!
Expert Tip: Make sure gauge is correct for a perfectly shaped piece.
Do you want to crochet another simple pattern? Make this beginner pattern the crochet bathmat using just single crochets too!!
Ready to Get Started on Your New Scarf?
If you have your hook, yarn and this pattern handy, then you are good to go! Scroll on down to find the full FREE scarf pattern that is great for new crocheters to make.
If you have any questions at all about this pattern, please feel free to ask me via email or connect with me on social media.
Happy Scarf Making!
The Beginner Crochet Scarf Pattern
Skill Level: Basic
Be sure to check out the crochet abbreviation list for beginners
- CH = chain stitch
- SC = single crochet
- ST(s) = stitch(es)
- Written in standard US terms
- Gauge: 7 SC’s = 4 inches
- Finished Size: Approximately a 6.5” width X 58” length
- Yarn Needle
- Crochet Hook 9 mm
- Less than 196 Yards of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick or any super bulky 6 yarn
- Written in standard US terms
The Scarf Pattern Steps
- Foundation Row: With bulky yarn CH 11.
- Row 1: To begin the next row CH 1, in the second CH from the hook SC, SC once in every CH across (10)
- Row 2: To start row 2 CH 1, turn your work around, SC in the first ST (not the CH 1), SC once in every ST across. (10)
- To finish row 3-101: Repeat row 2. (10)
- Finishing up the scarf: After row 101 fasten off the yarn with scissors and weave in loose yarn ends throughout the scarf with a yarn needle.
You have finished a crocheted scarf! If you’d like to save this for later be sure to pin it below!
Explore the free scarf patterns below which all range in skill level, color and types of stitches used! Enjoy.
- 20 Crochet Infinity Scarf Patterns for Beginners
- Half Double Crochet Infinity Scarf Pattern
- 18 Easy Crochet Scarf Patterns
- Crochet Griddle Stitch Scarf Pattern
- Crochet Stitches for Scarves
- Free Ombre Crochet Scarf Pattern
- The Charlie Easy Crochet Infinity Scarf
- Bobble Stitch Crochet Scarf Pattern
- Fabulously Fall Crochet Fringe Scarf