The griddle stitch is a great beginner-friendly crochet stitch that looks great worked up into a scarf! It can be used for Spring or early Fall days since it’s lightweight but also warm.
Read on down to find the free griddle stitch crochet pattern, which in my opinion is the easiest crochet stitch for a scarf!
Plus, learn about the yarn you’ll want to use to make this scarf, so you can get started today!
How to Crochet a Griddle Stitch Scarf
The griddle stitch is an easy combination of stitches that is quite beginner-friendly. It uses double crochets and single crochets that alternate to create a beautiful textured scarf design.
Since it uses two basic crochet stitches, this scarf is perfect for beginner crocheters and one that I consider easy to learn. Take a look below at these easy crochet stitches and their abbreviations.
Take a look at the griddle stitch tutorial to see a picture tutorial & written instructions for some extra help with these stitches.
This stitch is one that I consider one of the seven best crochet stitches for scarves and one I highly recommend trying!
You’ll love it. PROMISE.
What Yarn Should I Use for a Griddle Stitch Scarf?
I recommend using Coboo yarn is a lightweight 3 yarn that is 51% cotton and 49% rayon for this design. It is silky to work with and has beautiful drape, which means your scarf will look and feel wonderful!
Plus, this yarn is lightweight enough that it is great for Spring weather or climates that don’t get that cold. I
Fiber: 50% Cotton, 50% Rayon from Bamboo
Yardage: 232 yards
Substitute: Truboo Yarn by Lion Brand
You’re going to love Coboo yarn from Lion Brand!
Coboo comes in a variety of colors that are all gorgeous. For this scarf, I decided to use the color Pale Pink, but if you’d prefer a different color, take a look at the incredible colors that Lion Brand offers in this fiber.
How Big Will My Scarf Be?
The finished size of a griddle stitch scarf can vary, but this one is about 8 inches wide by 58 inches long. If you’d like to change the scarf size to lengthen it, you can crochet more than the recommended rows in the pattern.
To change the width of the scarf, you can use a starting chain in any multiple of 2. Keep in mind if you change the scarf from what is written below, you will more than likely need more yarn.
After you have picked your favorite color of yarn to use and looked over the griddle stitch then you are ready to get started! I hope you enjoy this free scarf pattern using the easy to learn griddle stitch!
Happy Scarf making!
The Griddle Stitch Crochet Scarf Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- < 355 yards of Coboo Yarn from Lion Brand or any 3 lightweight yarn
- 4 mm G crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- Measuring tape
- Gauge is not important for this pattern
- 7 ¾ inches x 58 inches
- Written in standard US terms
- If you’d like to change the size start with multiple of 2 in the starting chain.
- Learn how to change colors in crochet tutorial which will come in handy if you are making a multicolored scarf design.
- Use the griddle stitch picture tutorial for extra help with this scarf
* sk 3 chains counts as a dc in this pattern and is included in the st count in the ()
To start: Ch 32
Row 1: Sk 3 chs (counts as 1 dc), *1 sc into next ch, 1 dc into next ch; repeat from * across ending with 1 sc into last ch, turn. (30)
Row 2: Ch 3, 1 sc into next St, 1 dc into next st; repeat across ending with 1 sc, turn. (30)
Row 3 – 120: Rep row 2 (30)
Option 1: Fasten off yarn and weave in loose ends throughout with a yarn needle
Option 2: Leave a 15″ tail and sew the two ends together to create a cowl design with a yarn needle
Do you want a printable version instead? Grab it below so you can start crocheting this scarf asap.
If you make this scarf please share it with me over in the Easy Crochet Facebook Group. It’s a great place to share your work in progresses, ask questions and talk about all things crochet!
More Free Crochet Scarf Patterns
This is one of many free crochet scarf patterns you can make! Check out all the scarves you can crochet below.
- 13 Lacy Crochet Scarf Patterns
- 20 Free and Easy Crochet Scarf Patterns for Beginners
- 5 Easy Beginner Crochet Scarf Patterns
- 5 Free & Easy Crochet Scarf Patterns
- 6 Cozy Crochet Pocket Shawl Patterns You’ll Love
- 7 Cozy Fall Crochet Scarf Patterns You’ll Love
- 7 Festive Crochet Scarves to Make for Christmas
- 8 Crochet Stitches for Making Warm Scarves
- Adjustable Keyhole Crochet Scarf Free Pattern
- Andi Crochet Infinity Scarf Pattern