How to Crochet a Star
Easy and quick crochet patterns are always fun to make, and this free crochet star design is no exception. If you’d like to learn how to crochet a star then read on down to find the pattern, as well as pictures and more, so you can start crocheting a star today!
If you love tutorials like simple crochet star pattern, then be sure to check out our free star garland tutorial or take a look at our free crochet pattern archives for even more free crochet patterns!
The Crochet Stitches in a Star
This crocheted star design uses the herringbone half double crochet stitch, single crochet stitch, double crochet and the slip stitch, all of which are simple(and basic) stitches to learn.
The herringbone half double crochet or hhdc is straightforward to learn! It’s worked similar to a half double crochet, but you will pull back through the first loop first, then two loops to finish the stitch. You can learn more about the hhdc crochet stitch as well as the other stitches used to create the star shape in this pattern below.
Herringbone Half Double Crochet (hhdc)
- yarn over
- insert hook into the stitch indicated
- yarn over (3 loops on hook)
- pull up a loop and pull that loop through the first loop on the hook (2 loops on hook)
- yarn over
- pull through remaining two loops on the hook
Slip Stitch (sl st)
- Insert hook into designated stitch
- YO (yarn over) and pull back through the st and through the loop on the hook.
Double Crochet (dc):
- Wrap the yarn over (YO) the hook, insert the hook into the specified st.
- YO the hook again, draw the yarn through the st so there are 3 loops on the hook
- YO the hook again draw it through 2 loops so there are 2 loops on the hook
- YO the hook, draw it through the final 2 loops.
Single Crochet (sc):
- Insert hook from front to back in the second chain from the hook or designated stitch
- Bring the yarn over (YO) the hook and pull the yarn back through the chain (or stitch) from back to front (2 loops on hook).
- YO and pull through both loops on the hook.
Check out this hddc video tutorial for extra help.
For the full tutorial, have a look at the pattern below for step-by-step instructions, but first I want to tell you about the yarn you’ll need to make this amazing crochet star pattern.
The Yarn That’s Perfect For This Crochet Star
I used Brava Worsted from Knit Picks / We Crochet for this tutorial. Brava is a 100% acrylic yarn that is available in 45+ colors and quite inexpensive! I have to admit, my last order I got ten different colors, and I was impressed with all of them!
Keep on scrolling down to find the free crocheted star tutorial, material list & more! I hope you enjoy this quick crochet star pattern design.
Free Crochet Star Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- Brava Worsted or any four medium weight yarn
- F 3.75 mm crochet hook (I love the Tulip brand crochet hooks)
- Yarn needle
- Measuring tape
- ch = chain
- sc = single crochet
- hddc = herringbone half double crochet
- dc = double crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- sk = skip
- 4″ x 4″
- The pattern is written in standard US terms
- sl st at the end of each round do NOT count as a st
- Ch 1’s do NOT count as a st.
The Star Pattern
Round 1: Make a magic circle. 10 sc into the magic circle, sl st to the top of the first sc. (10)
Round 2: ch 1, 2 hhdc into each st around, sl st into the first hhdc. (20)
Round 3: ch1, *1 hhdc into the first st, 2 hhdc into the next st, repeat from * around, sl to to the top of the first hhdc. (30)
Round 4: ch 1, sc into the next st, sk 2 sts, *(3 dc’s, ch 4, sl to the first ch, 3 dcs all into the same st), sk 2 sts, sc, sk 2 st, repeat from * to finish.
Fasten off yarn and weave in ends securely with a yarn needle.
Now attach your star motif to a blanket, hat or scarf to add a little something extra to any crochet project.
I hope you enjoyed this simple star pattern! I am excited to see how you use it. This star would be a great appliqué on a blanket, hat or more.
Share it with me over in the Easy Crochet Facebook Group where you can post pictures of your projects, ask questions and find some good yarn deals.
More Free Crochet Patterns
- 20 Easy Crochet Dishcloth Patterns: All Free
- Easy Crochet Hot Pads with Handles
- 17 Crochet Garland Patterns
- 20 Free Crochet Keychain Patterns: Adorable and Easy
- Scrubby Yarn Crochet Patterns
- Waffle Stitch Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Thanksgiving Table Runner Crochet Patterns
- 31 Free Crochet Coaster Patterns: Quick & Easy
Thank You how can you make this larger like an afghan?
You are welcome! That is a great idea and one I’d have to think about doing soon. Thanks for the great suggestion!