Learn all about the crochet griddle stitch with the step-by-step tutorial and crochet pattern below!
Once you learn this fun stitch you can then make the griddle stitch scarf pattern which is a free crochet pattern here on Easy Crochet!
The Crochet Griddle Stitch is Easy to Learn
The griddle stitch is an easy stitch using a combination of basic beginner crochet stitches to create a textured project surface.
If you have ever wondered how to crochet the griddle stitch, then you have come to the right place! Read on down learn all about the crochet stitches you’ll need to know to make a griddle stitch.
The Griddle Uses The Single and Double Crochet Stitch
The griddle stitch uses the single crochet and a double crochet stitch, which gives the crochet project a really wonderful look. It really does create an interesting bumpy texture. If you can crochet those two stitches, then you are good to go! Learn more about each of these basic stitches below.
Double Crochet (DC):
- Wrap the yarn over (Yo) the hook, insert the hook into the specified st.
- Yo the hook again, draw the yarn through the st, so there are 3 loops on the hook
- Yo the hook again draw it through 2 loops, so there are 2 loops on the hook
- Yo the hook, draw it through the final 2 loops.
Single Crochet (SC):
- Insert hook from front to back in the second chain from the hook or designated stitch
- Bring the yarn over (Yo) the hook and pull the yarn back through the chain (or stitch) from back to front (2 loops on hook).
- Yo and pull through both loops on the hook.
Great Stitches for Beginners
These simple stitches (single & double) are perfect for a beginner crocheter to try. I promise this is an easy stitch tutorial and if you are feeling adventurous, I’d suggest making a chunky baby blanket using bulky yarn and this stitch. We have a whole write-up on other great beginner stitches for you to try as well!
The Yarn That’s Perfect for This Crochet Stitch
Just remember that whatever yarn you choose, be sure to use the corresponding crochet hook size as stated on the package.
Ready to Get Started?
Read on down for the full free crochet griddle stitch tutorial! I hope you enjoy this pattern.
How to Crochet The Griddle Stitch
Skill Level: Easy
- Any weight of Yarn
- Crochet Hook (that corresponds with the yarn)
- Scissors (to cut yarn)
- This tutorial is written in standard US terms
The Griddle Stitch Pattern Steps
- CH a multiple of 2 (add 2 for the base chain) I used 12
- Row 1: Skip 3 CH (counts as 1 DC), 1 SC into next CH, 1 DC into next CH; repeat across ending with 1 SC into last CH, turn.
- Row 2: CH 3 (counts as 1 DC), 1 SC into next St, 1 DC into next ST; repeat across ending with 1 SC into last ST, turn.
- Repeat row 2 until you reach your desired length.
Keep on going!!!
Congratulations! You’ve just learned how to crochet the Griddle Stitch!
You May Also Like These Crochet Stitches
- The Puff Stitch: A Simple Guide to Crocheting It Right
- Whip Stitch Crochet Seaming Technique
- Easy Guide to Half Double Crochet Slip Stitch (hdc slst) for Beginners
- Guide to Increasing with Single Crochet (sc inc)
- Creating Seams Using the Mattress Stitch
- Single Crochet Two Together: A Step-by-Step Guide