This free, quick and easy crochet scarf pattern is a fun modern take on the classic granny square pattern! If you love making granny squares, granny blankets or anything that uses a granny stitch in crochet then you will love this simple crochet scarf!
The Yarn for a Granny Stitch Scarf
For this pattern, I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice which is a 100% acrylic four weight yarn. It is a great choice to use to make scarves with because it is durable and washes very nicely! Take a peek at the yarn below if you’ve never had the chance to work with it before in crochet. Featured are the Vanna’s Choice yarn colors in Linen, Dusty Blue and Chocolate.
I designed the granny scarf in blocks of color because I love designing projects with a color-blocked style. If the combination of colors is too much then I would suggest you crochet this in just one color for a classic simple look!
The Stitch in a Granny Scarf
To make this scarf design, you will need to know how to make a double crochet (dc). The double crochet stitch is a beginner-friendly stitch that is one of the first stitches a new crocheter learns. Since this stitch is simple to get the hang of, you will have no trouble crocheting this scarf!
Learn more about the double crochet stitch below that is used to create a granny stitch.
Double Crochet (dc):
- Wrap the yarn over (Yo) the hook, insert the hook into the specified st.
- Yo the hook again, draw the yarn through the st, so there are 3 loops on the hook
- Yo the hook again draw it through 2 loops, so there are 2 loops on the hook
- Yo the hook, draw it through the final 2 loops.
Add Fringe To Your Scarf!
If you live on the wild side and would like your simple granny scarf to be a little less simple, I have included instructions below on how to add fringe!
I know fringe isn’t for everyone, so that’s why this is an optional addition to your granny scarf! You can use my tutorial on how to add fringe to crochet projects as a guide if you decide to add it to this scarf.
Simple Granny Scarf Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- Vanna’s Choice Yarn in Linen, Dusty Blue, and Chocolate. You will need 1 skein of Linen, 2 Blue, and 1 Chocolate or use any medium weight four yarn. (171 yards x 4)
- 5.5 mm (I-9) crochet hook.
- Yarn needle
- Each row of the scarf is approximately 8″ inches wide
- The finished scarf size is 8″ wide by 52″ inches long without fringe.
- The pattern is written in standard US terms.
- You will need to know how to change colors in crochet for this simple granny scarf pattern. Learn how to change colors in crochet with our free tutorial
Free Crochet Granny Scarf Pattern
FOUNDATION ROW: With the Vanna’s Choice Yarn in Dusty Blue (affiliate link) or first choice of color, Ch 23. Starting in the second ch from the hook sc, sc in each ch across, turn. (22)
ROW 1: Ch 3, in first st dc, *sk 2 st’s, dc 3 times in next st, repeat from * across until you are left with 3 st’s, sk 2 st’s and dc 2 times in the last st, turn. (22)
ROW 2: Ch 3, in first sk 2 space dc 3 times, dc in each sk 2 space across ending with 1 dc in the top of the chain 3 from the previous row, turn. (22)
ROW 3 – 13: Rep rows 1 – 2 alternatively. (22)
ROW 14: Change color to Vanna’s Choice Yarn in Linen, ch 1, sc in every stitch across, including turning chain from the row before, turn. (22)
ROW 15: Ch 1, sc in every st across, including last turning chain from the row before, turn. (22)
Row 16-28: Rep rows 1-13 with Vanna’s Choice Yarn in Chocolate. (22)
ROW 29-30: Using Linen yarn color – Repeat Rows 14 & 15. (22)
ROW 31 – 43: Rep rows 1-13 with Vanna’s Choice Yarn in Dusty Blue. (22)
ROW 44-45: Using Linen yarn color – Repeat Rows 14 & 15. (22)
ROW 46-58: Rep rows 1-13 with Vanna’s Choice Yarn in Chocolate. (22)
ROW 59-60: Using Linen yarn color – Repeat Rows 14 & 15. (22)
ROW 61 – 73: Rep rows 1-13 with Vanna’s Choice Yarn in Dusty Blue. (22)
ROW 74: Ch 1 with Dusty Blue and sc in every st across, including the last turning chain from the row before. (22)
Fasten off, pick up your yarn needle and weave in all the loose ends throughout the scarf. If you are adding fringe, then you are not quite done! Read on down to find out how to finish your simple granny scarf!
Adding Fringe – Optional
Adding the fringe is simple! Check out my step-by-step tutorial on how to add fringe to crochet patterns and projects! It’s easy. I promise!
I added 8 fringe pieces (3 pieces of cut yarn each in Linen) evenly across the bottom of each end of the scarf with a crochet hook and should look something like pictured below.
Again, please feel free to use the tutorial linked to above on how to add fringe if help is needed! If you are not a fringe type of person then go ahead and skip this part and wear the scarf as color-blocked grannies!
Share this Scarf on Pinterest to Make Later
Save the images below to Pinterest, so you can make this granny scarf design when you have more time. Follow along with us too when you are on there, so you never miss when I post a new free crochet pattern.
More Free Crochet Scarf, Shawl and Cowl Patterns
- Textured Crochet Neck Warmer Pattern
- Josie Chunky Crochet Scarf Pattern
- 6 Must Make Pocket Shawl Crochet Patterns
- Ombre Crochet Neck Warmer Cowl Pattern
- Williams Puff Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Crochet Scarves to Make for Christmas
- 18 Easy Crochet Scarf Patterns
- Crochet Griddle Stitch Scarf Pattern
- Crochet Stitches for Scarves
- Free Ombre Crochet Scarf Pattern
Share Your Projects With Easy Crochet
That is it for the Granny Scarf Crochet Pattern! Please let me know which one is your favorite and if you do decide to make one show it off in our Easy Crochet Club Facebook Group!