This free crochet cowl pattern is perfect for the cool months of Fall & Winter. It is cozy enough to keep you warm but lightweight enough that it won’t weigh you down. It also happens to be great for beginner crocheters to try too!
If you are looking for more free crochet scarf or cowl patterns I can help! Try the Easy Crochet reader favorite one hour cowl or this crochet scarf for beginners! I hope you enjoy the shimmering snow cowl crochet pattern.
The Yarn for this Cowl Crochet Pattern
I designed this sparkly cowl using a four weight yarn called Lion Brand Yarns Shawl in a Ball in the colorway Om OPAL. This color has hints of charcoal, silver and white brushed through and is combined with a stand of opalescent metallic which gives the beautiful shimmering look to it. You can really see the beautiful colors of this yarn in the up close cowl photo below.
When I first saw this shimmering yarn It instantly reminded me of winter the most sparkly time of year! If you were looking for Lion Brand shawl in a ball crochet patterns than this cowl might be the one for you!
The Om Opal colorway is what is the icing on the cake because it really makes it stand out because of the ombre effect of the yarn. You’ll love it! Promise.
The Easy Crochet Stitches
This cowl pattern uses simple basic crochet stitches like the half double crochet and single crochet. This makes it great for any level crocheter from beginner level to the more advanced. You can learn more about each crochet stitch used in this cowl below.
Crochet Stitches in a Cowl
Half Double Crochet (hdc):
- YO (yarn over) insert hook from front to back of the designated stitch, YO the hook and pick up a loop.
- YO the hook and pull back through all three loops on the hook.
Single Crochet (sc):
- Insert hook from front to back in the second chain from the hook or designated stitch
- Bring the yarn over (YO) the hook and pull the yarn back through the chain (or stitch) from back to front (2 loops on hook).
- YO and pull through both loops on the hook.
When I am designing patterns like this and my one hour cowl I ALWAYS try to make them simple enough for everyone to enjoy so this one is no exception!
I started the shimmering snow cowl by working in the round which is a great way to make a cowl because it works up smoothly and much faster! (In my opinion)
I then proceeded to do a combination of single crochets and half double crochets to give this cowl a nice texture.
Ready to Get Started?
Ready to try the Shimmering Snow Cowl crochet pattern? If so, read on down to find the full free easy crochet cowl pattern here on the blog!
Stay warm friends and Happy Crocheting!
Shimmering Snow Cowl Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- Less than 2 skeins of a Shawl in Ball from Lion Brand Yarn in Om Opal or colorway of choice.
- Crochet hook size K 6.50 mm
- Yarn needle
- Stitch Marker
- ch(s) = chain(s)
- sl st(s) = slip stitch(es)
- hdc = half double crochet
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- sc = single crochet
- sk = skip
- rep = repeat
- 1 inch = 1 SC, HDC, HDC cluster
- 14″ Height & 32″ Circumference
- Written in standard US terms
- This pattern is worked in the round and is worked up using 2 skeins of yarn at once held together.
- A stitch marker can be used to keep track of the beginning of each round if preferred. This is optional.
The Shimmering Cowl Pattern Steps
Foundation Round: Ch 94, join with a sl st into the first ch making sure not to twist the chain.
Round 1: Ch 2, 2 hdc into the first ch, * sk the next two chs, sc, hdc, hdc all into next ch, repeat around from * ending with 2 sk chs, join with a sl st to the top of the first hdc.
Round 2: ch 2, 2 hdc in first st, **sk next 2 sts, sc, hdc, hdc all into the next st, repeat from * around ending with 2 sk sts, join with a sl st to top of the first hdc.
Round 3-25: Rep round 2 to finish the pattern.
Fasten off yarn with scissors and weave in all loose ends throughout the cowl with a yarn needle. That’s it! Now go wear, say look what I did or go show off your new creation.
More Free Crochet Cowl Patterns to Try
I hope you enjoyed this shimmering snow cowl pattern! I love designing cowls so if you are wanting to crochet even more check out my One Hour Cowl or my Andy Cowl crochet patterns. Psst: There are even more easy cowl patterns below!
- Textured Cowl Scarf Crochet Pattern
- The Best Crochet Collar Patterns
- Textured Crochet Neck Warmer Pattern
- Ombre Crochet Neck Warmer Pattern
- Williams Puff Cowl Crochet Pattern
- The Charlie Easy Crochet Infinity Scarf
- Shimmering Snow Crochet Cowl Pattern
- Easy Beginner Crochet Cowl Pattern
- Easy Crochet Cowl & Scarf Pattern