When it comes to expanding your crochet skills and techniques crocheting doilies should be at the top of the list. Doilies bring a homemade touch and warmth to any home they are in. Learn more about making doilies and find a variety of free crochet doily patterns below.
What is a Doily?
Crochet doily patterns are a decorative crochet piece that is usually circular but sometimes can be rectangle or oval. They are worked in the round which makes them relaxing to work up. Doilies were one of the most common types of patterns crocheters made in at the beginning of the craft of crochet. These vintage patterns were usually crocheted with lace thread and a small hook.
They are many ways you can use crocheted doilies to decorate homes such as centerpieces on dining tables, dressers or coffee tables. They even make great holiday decorations for Christmas or Easter. Take a look at this photo of a doily on a coffee table to see how lovely they can look in your home.
The doily pattern in the link above was made with a four weight yarn (see image below) but keep in mind that each pattern in this collection of doilies will have a yarn that is recommended to use.
Are You Ready to Make A Doily?
If you’re ready to get crocheting, then find the full list below of free doily patterns. Be sure to take a moment after you look at these crochet patterns to check out a few more tips about doilies below. I’ll teach you about how to wash doilies and how to stiffen doilies too!
Free Crochet Doily Patterns
Take a look at a few of my favorite free doily patterns below to start crocheting your very own doily today! If you have any questions, please feel to ask (the designer is listed beside the pattern) and have fun learning how to crochet a doily! *
*These were all free crochet doily patterns during this collection roundup and may be subject to change.
Decorative Table Top Doily
Designer: Easy Crochet
Yarn: Vanna’s Choice
This easy to crochet doily is perfect to display on a table-top under a centerpiece, or more! It uses a four weight yarn, so it works up quickly and beautifully.
Doily Rug using T-Shirt Yarn
Designer: Crochet in Paternoster
Yarn: T-shirt yarn
This rug pattern details how easy it is to crochet a doily design using T-shirt yarn! Plus, you’ll love how simple it is to follow the step-by-step photo instructions too!
Lace Thread Doily
Designer: Red Heart
Yarn: Aunt Lydia’s Thread
This lace doily is a beautiful statement piece but does take a more experienced crocheter to tackle as well as 1.5 mm crochet hook. Get the printable free crochet doily pattern below.
Chunky Yarn Doily Pattern
Designer: Petals to Picots
Yarn: #4 weight cotton yarn
The best part about this free crochet doily pattern is that it has a diagram. Plus, It is also available in two different sizes. A small doily and large doily size! ! Get this beautiful & beginner-friendly doily pattern below.
Easy Crochet Doily with Cotton
Designer: Easy Crochet
Yarn: Lily Sugar’n Cream
For this entire doily, you will need to use approximately 180 yards of cotton worsted weight yarn called Lily Sugar’n Cream. Once you are done the finished doily should measure 16″x 16″ which is perfect for a display piece.
Free Pineapple Doily Pattern
Designer: Craft Passion
Yarn: Cotton Thread
This pineapple lace doily makes a gorgeous heirloom piece. You can find the doily pattern with written instructions as well as a photo tutorial below.
More Crochet Doily Tutorials
How to Wash Crochet Doilies
There are a few ways to try to preserve older doilies that are hand crocheted which are prone to develop yellow staining. You may also want to clean the ones you made recently from stains and spills during use.
- Soak in mild detergent and hot water. Lay flat in the sun to dry.
- Wet the doily and place in the sun minus the soap. This is great for threads that may be too old for detergent. This will be the gentlest method for older lace thread doilies.
- Hire a professional. If the doily is quite aged, and you don’t feel comfortable washing it then hire someone with expertise.
How to Make Crochet Doilies Stiff
Once crochet doilies are made you want them to keep their shape and stay flat. There are a few techniques that may help.
- Sugar-water solution: Boil part sugar part water equally. Once it cools dip your crocheted doily into it. Do not twist the doily only squeeze gently. Lay flat to dry.
- Liquid Starch: This is a great method to make your crochet doilies stiff. Apply with a spray bottle (mix with water) or directly to the doily.
- Glue & Water Mix: Combine equal parts of glue and water. Soak the crocheted doily in it and do not twist. Mod Podge thinned down would work great too! This is an irreversible method so make sure you shape it the way you like before it dries.
Free Crochet Patterns for the Home
- The Best Free Patterns for Crochet Doilies
- Crochet Heart Dishcloth Pattern
- Free Cotton Yarn Crochet Patterns
- Must Make Crochet Steering Wheel Covers
- Patterns for Crochet Curtains
- Crochet Spike Stitch Dishcloth Pattern
- The Best Crochet PotHolder Pattern
- 30 Minute DIY Yarn Wall Hangings
- Crochet Storage Basket Free Pattern
- 20 Free Crochet Basket Patterns