If you are a beginner to crochet and are wondering what you need to start crocheting with, then look no further! This complete list of the best crochet kits for beginners will help you get headed in the right direction of your crocheting journey.
What is a Crochet Kit?
A beginner crochet kit is a collection of crochet items together in a box or bag that will have everything you need to complete a project with crochet.
Kits will usually include yarn and a pattern to work with. This type of set is convenient and makes it possible for a beginner to start crocheting right away.
Sometimes kits will include other basic crochet supplies. These items are usually ones that you’ll need to get started on your journey of how to start crocheting.
Learn more about what to look for in crochet kits below.
What Does a Crochet Kit Include?
- Crochet Hook(s)
- Yarn Needle (aka a Darning Needle or Tapestry Needle)
- Stitch Markers
- Digital Pattern or Printed Pattern
These supplies above may or may not be included in some beginner crochet kits. Some may also a tape measure or accessories like safety eyes or toy stuffing depending on what project you chose. Be sure to read all the information about the kit you will be purchasing, so you know exactly what you’ll have on hand to start crocheting. The list above will help you, so you’ll know exactly what to search for in a crochet kit and crochet projects.
Make Your Own DIY Crochet Kit
A prepared crochet kit makes a perfect gift, and they are super easy to put together.
After looking through the list above and learning what goes into a crochet set, you could collect items for a kit yourself. You’ll want to shop for a crochet hook or crochet hook set, yarn (learn about the different types of yarn) and a pattern. There are loads of free patterns here on Easy Crochet that are perfect for beginner crocheters.
At its most basic, here are the three essential tools and supplies you’ll want to add to your DIY crochet kit:
- A Crochet Hook: When shopping for crochet hooks, it is best to start with one or two different brands to see which you prefer. There are a good deal of crochet hook sizes, so if you already have a pattern in mind, be sure to purchase the size hook it calls for.
- Some Yarn: Yarn is available in many fibers (i.e. wool, cotton, acrylic, blends) and weights (i.e. light, medium, bulky). Most craft stores and shops online have yarns that are easy to find and are great for beginners, such as yarns from the Lion Brand Yarn Company.
- A Crochet Pattern: Most beginners will more than likely start with a smaller project such as a dishcloth, baby blanket or even a stitch tutorial for a small swatch. Once you find the pattern you would like to crochet, read through it to find out what other materials or supplies you’ll need.
The Perfect DIY Crochet Kit
The Best Crochet Starter Kits for Beginner Crocheters
1. Glise Throw Blanket
You’ll love this modern beginner blanket kit designed by Debrosse for Lion Brand. It is a simple stitch crochet blanket kit that is available from Lion Brand and is a great kit to try if you love easy crochet designs.
Learn more about this beginner stitch blanket kit below. This kit includes everything you’ll need such as the digital pattern and yarn to get started with options to add a hook, yarn needle and more.
2. Finley Baby Blanket
You’ll love this modern and beginner-friendly baby blanket kit since it uses simple stitches. It is available as a crochet kit from Lion Brand and is a great design to try if you want to make a baby shower gift or baby gift.
Learn more about this easy baby blanket kit below. This kit includes everything you’ll need such as the digital pattern and yarn to get started with options to add a hook, yarn needle and more.
3. Dishcloth Crochet Kit
A beginner crochet dishcloth kit from WeCrochet is perfect for any new crocheter! The crochet kit includes the basics as well as a few special offers/extras:
- Mini Hook Book: Learn to Crochet (printed version)
- 2 balls of Dishie (1 each of Begonia & Kenai)
- 2 balls of Dishie Twist (1 each of Begonia Twist & Kenai Twist)
- 2 balls of Dishie Multi (1 each of Dreamhouse & Aquarium)
- Majestic Regular Crochet Hook G-6 (4.0mm)
- WeCrochet Zippered Pouch – Aqua & Sparkle Silver
- WeCrochet Coffee. Crochet. Sleep. Repeat.- Project Bag
This learn to crochet kit truly has everything you’ll need to start crocheting a kitchen dishcloth and will guide you from start to finish.
4. Crochet Scarf Kit for Beginners
A simple back and forth row design like a scarf is a great starter crochet kit for a beginner to begin their crocheting journey with.
This kit designed by All about Ami for Lion Brand includes all the yarn and a free pattern that is easy for beginners to start with. Consider this simple scarf project kit that can be purchased on LionBrand.com.
5. Learn to Crochet Kits from Michaels
If you shop at Michael’s craft store, then you may have seen this kit or one’s like it before from Loops & Threads & other companies. You’ll love how this “learn to crochet” kit comes all packaged together.
This crochet kit from Michaels includes
- Size G (4.25 mm) crochet hook
- Instruction booklet for right- and left-handed users
- 4 patterns for a headband, hand mitts, cowl and scarf
This is one of many crochet kits for beginners at Michaels. Explore the other kits they have to offer via the same link below.
6. Crochet Cowl Kit
This “learn to crochet set” for beginners comes packaged in a box with everything you’ll need to make a cowl, including:
- 5 mm soft grip crochet hook
- 50g of chunky yarn (100% acrylic)
- 100g of soft and chunky yarn (70% acrylic, 30% wool)
- yarn needle
- video tutorial links
- Instruction booklet in UK terminology (which can be converted to US terms thanks to Google)
This crochet kit is available from TheSecretCrocheter on Etsy.
7. Little Bunny Amigurumi Kit
While amigurumi can appear difficult to a beginner crocheter, it truly isn’t with this set.
This bunny crochet animal kit uses simple stitches like the single crochets, full video tutorial help and is small enough for a new crocheter to make.
The kit includes:
- Step-by-step video tutorials for righties AND lefties
- Pattern as a PDF printable
- Yarn, Plastic eyes & Stuffing
- Tapestry needle & Stitch marker
- Drawstring bag & 4 mm ergonomic crochet hook (for an additional charge)
This kit is available from thewoobles on Etsy.
8. Crochet 101 Kit for Beginners
This easy first kit for crocheters is the perfect set for complete beginners. You can make six different beginner projects with this kit.
The crochet kit includes:
- Worsted Weight Cotton
- Aluminum Size G6/4.00 mm Crochet Hook
- Darning Needles (1)
- Stitch Markers (1)
- Crocheting 101: How to Crochet for Complete Beginners (Digital Copy)
This kit is available from LouiesLoops on Etsy.
9. Crochet Bag Kit
The Miller bag is a great tote bag for the beach, market and more.
This easy to make bag kit is available on LionBrand.com, and is a beginner-friendly design and great for those who are new to crochet as a quick and simple project.
The kit includes:
- Digital Pattern
10. Crochet Starter Set from Red Heart
This crochet starter set from Red Heart has all the essentials you need to get you started crocheting. While this particular set doesn’t include yarn, it has multiple hooks and other useful tools.
This crochet starter kit includes:
- It contains five Susan Bates crochet hooks (us sizes G, H, I, J & K) one afghan hook, two yarn needles and a knit check
- An instruction book with simple instructions and clear diagrams make learning easy
- The book contains more than thirty projects to make and includes left-hand instructions
11. Crochet Beginner Kit for Kids
This easy crochet kit for children is available on Amazon.com, and makes crochet easy for children to understand. This kit teaches the fundamentals of crochet to young learners, but adults could benefit from a kit like this as well!
This crochet kit includes:
- The kit includes two (2) crochet hooks, one (1) plastic needle and seven (7) colors of yarn.
- This kit contains enough materials to create three of the following items: coaster, purse, place mat or belt.
- Includes a 14-page instruction book.
- Recommended for ages 8 years and up
12. Crochet Basket Kit
Use this kit to crochet a basket for your plants, or even use them as a catch-all container. The kit can be customized to the colors you want to make your baskets in, so they are unique to you.
This crochet basket kit includes:
- 1 Bamboo Crochet Hook
- 2 Balls of Bobbiny 100% Recycled Cotton Cord
- 1 Crochet Pattern
- 1 How to crochet guide
- 1 Stitch Marker
This kit is available from Stitchingmesoftly on Etsy.
13. The Hook Nook Ultimate Crochet Starter Kit
Get started on your crochet journey will the ultimate beginner starter set on HSN! This crochet kit includes all the basics you’ll need to start crocheting.
This beautiful kit includes:
- 6-piece set of darning needles
- 19-piece set of stitch markers
- 9-piece set of crochet hooks in carrying case
- 3 Skeins of Yarn (100 grams/185 yards); 1 each: Dusty Rose, Latte Art and Silver Lining
- Instruction booklet
- Hook Nook felt storage bag with elastic closure and inside pocket; approx. 16″L x 6″W x 10″H
An Advanced Crochet Kit You May Like Too
The kit below is considered an intermediate kit but may be a project you’d like to make once you become more familiar with crochet stitches.
Textured Blanket Crochet Kit
The Textured Blanket Crochet Kit includes the pattern plus all the yarn you’ll need to make this blanket. It is considered an intermediate skill level design.
Blanket Kit Includes:
- Digital Pattern
Designed by Easy Crochet
More Resources & Tutorials for Beginners
While crochet kits are wonderful for beginners, I recommend reading about the basics of crochet in my free guide Crochet for Beginners. If you’ve never crocheted before, then you’ll need to also learn how to read a crochet pattern as well about the standard abbreviations that are used in almost every crochet pattern.
After you read through these resources, you’ll have a much better understanding of how to crochet, and you’ll be ready to start crocheting beginner patterns in no time.
1. Beginner-Friendly Crochet Patterns
If you are not following one of the kits we listed above, then you will first need to choose a beginner-level pattern. Here are three that we think are perfect starter patterns:
2. Classes & Groups
If you or someone you know learns much better with in-person classes, they are widely available as well. Local libraries and yarn shops often hold in-person and virtual classes for new crocheters to learn the basics of crochet. These types of groups are great for beginners to learn from experienced crocheters and stitchers.
3. Crochet Pattern Books and Crochet Stitch Books
Crochet books are a great way to learn new how to crochet. There are many books for beginners with step-by-step photos within patterns that are all geared to those at a beginner skill level. Some crochet books are even full of stitches to learn, which show you how to make a small swatch to practice as you are first learning.
4. Crochet Videos
Videos are a great way to learn how to crochet for beginners since it is a visual tool. When you can see exactly how a crochet pattern or stitch is worked up in real time, it can be very helpful. You can find crochet videos on EasyCrochet as well as many more on YouTube for patterns and stitches.
5. Knit Kits
If you want a slightly more difficult challenge, or simply just a different one, consider a knit kit instead. Most of these kits are for beginners as well!
I hope you enjoyed this roundup of crochet kits for beginners. I also have a collection of knit kits for beginners on my sister site knittingandstitches.com that you may enjoy as well.
Free Crochet Patterns & Guides for Beginners
Take a look at our free crochet patterns below.