Crochet shawls are perfect for the spring weather to keep you warm when there is a slight chill in the air. If you are looking for a new shawl to make, then you should try this one! This easy to make shawl uses open stitches to create a cozy but breathable wrap for those cool mornings and evenings.
Scroll on down to find this easy and free crochet shawl pattern!
How to Crochet a Shawl for Spring
This spring shawl is going to me, made in a classic triangle shawl shape and worked in rows with increases back and forth. You will be essentially creating a giant chevron to form the triangle of the shawl.
I’ll highlight some steps on how to start a crochet a shawl below.
Basic Steps on How to Crochet a Shawl Pattern
- Chain 3 (counts as a double crochet)
- In the third chain from the hook, double crochet twice, chain two, double crochet three more times in the same stitch, turn.
- The following rows will be worked the same as steps 1 & 2 but with when you chain 3 you’ll work 2 half double crochets in the first stitch followed by a chain 1
- Next in the chain 2 space from the row before you’ll half double crochet three times, ch 2, half double crochet three times
- Chain 1, work three half double crochets in the top of the last stitch.
You’ll essentially be increasing each row, which is what creates the triangle shape shawl I mentioned before, with alternating rows of different crochet stitches. It is straightforward once you get into the rhythm of the pattern.
And once you look over the full explanation below, you’ll see how crocheting a shawl like this is easy because of the basic stitches used.
Crochet Stitches in a Shawl
This beginner shawl pattern has three different crochet stitches in it, so it is simple to work up. If you can make a chain stitch, half double crochet and double crochet, you can make this easy crochet shawl!
Learn more about the stitches you’ll need to know for this shawl below.
Crochet Shawl Stitches
The way the stitches are worked makes this an open stitch shawl, which makes it airy and lightweight for Spring weather. While these stitches will be used to make this a triangle shape, you may see crocheted rectangle shape shawls such as the Isle Wave Shawl from time to time too.
The Yarn for a Shawl
I used a 60% cotton and 40% acrylic four weight yarn called Caron Cotton Cakes. It is soft but also lightweight enough, which make sit a great fiber for making garments for the changing Spring weather.
Caron Cotton Cakes is available in twelve different self striping colors. This shawl is made in Rose Whisper, which has beautiful pastel shades of cream, tan, purple, and pink. As soon as I saw this cake, I thought the colors would be perfect in a shawl for springtime. According to Yarnspirations, you can purchase this yarn directly from them or from Michaels Crafts stores.
Need a substitute yarn? Cotton Ripple Cakes and Cotton Angel Cakes will work to for this shawl too.
If you have looked over the stitches and read about the yarn then you are ready to begin making a crocheted shawl. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to join our Easy Crochet Facebook Group to ask about this pattern or to share your work in progress. I hope you enjoy this simple shawl pattern and make a few for yourself and as gifts.
Happy Crochet Shawl Making!
Easy Crochet Spring Time Shawl Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- Caron Cotton Cakes about 525 yards (one cake) or any four weight yarn
- Crochet hook size I-9 5.5 mm
- Yarn needle
- Approximately 30″ x 60″ at the widest points
- ch = chain
- dc = double crochet
- hdc = half double crochet
- st = stitch
- sl st = slip stitch
- Written in standard US terms
- Ch 3’s and Ch 2’s count as stitches at the beginning of each row.
- Chains inside the pattern rows do NOT count as stitches, unless otherwise indicated.
- Change size by adding rows to the end of the pattern to get the desired shawl size.
- Take a look at the shawl stitch chart pattern below for extra help.
The Written Pattern
Row 1: Start with a ch 3, in the 3rd ch from the hook dc 2 times, ch 2, dc 3 times in the same stitch, turn. (6)
Row 2: ch 2, 2 hdc in the first st, sk 2 st’s and ch 1, hdc 3 times in the ch 2 space from the row before, ch 2, hdc 3 more times in the same ch 2 space, ch 1, sk 2 sts, end with 3 hdc’s in the last st, turn. (12)
Row 3: ch 3, dc 2 times in the first st, ch 1, dc 3 times in the next ch 1 space, ch 1, dc 3 times in the next ch 2 space, ch 2, dc 3 times in the same ch 2 space, ch 1, dc 3 times in the next ch 1 space, ch 1, sk 2 sts, dc 3 times into the last st, turn. (18)
Row 4: ch 2, hdc 2 times in the first st, ch 1, hdc 3 times in the next ch 1 space, ch 1, hdc 3 times in the next ch 1 space, ch 1, hdc 3 times in the next ch 2 space, ch 2, hdc 3 times in the same ch 2 space, ch 1, hdc 3 times in the next ch 1 space, ch 1, hdc 3 times in the next ch 1 space, ch 1, sk 2 sts, end with 3 hdc’s in last st, turn. (24)
Row 5 – 34: Repeat row 3 & 4. The stitch counts for each row will increase due to the added stitches each row. Stitch counts are as follows (30,36,42,48,54,60,66,72,78,84,90,96,102,108,114,120,126,132,138,144,150,156, 162,168,174,180,186,192,198,204)
Row 35: ch 1, sc into each st across (including the chains, turn. (272)
Row 36: ch 1, sl st into each st across.
Finishing: Fasten off the yarn and weave in loose ends throughout the shawl with a yarn needle. (272)
Crochet Shawl Stitch Chart
- Use the stitch chart below as a visual aid to use with this pattern. Start with row 1 and working in the direction of the arrows.
Spring Crochet Shawl Video Tutorial
If you have an ad-blocker on, you may not be able to see the video. You will need to turn it off to view the tutorial.
More Free Crochet Shawls & Wraps
Take a look at some of my other favorite crochet shawls and wraps to make.
- Cozy Crochet Shrug Patterns You’ll Love (All Free)
- Over 27 Simple and Free Crochet Shawl Patterns for You to Try
- Easy Crochet Shawl Pattern for Spring
- Easy Crochet Pocket Shawl Pattern
- Summer Nights Crochet Shawl
- Free Crochet Shawl Granny Pattern
- Isle Wave Crochet Wrap Pattern
- Ombre Triangle Wrap Crochet Pattern