15 Best Crochet Balaclava Patterns
If you are looking for a great way to stay warm during the winter, then a crocheted balaclava is it!
A Balaclava is a quick project and the perfect way to keep your head and ears warm while out on the slopes or going anywhere during the cold weather season. Our collection below features patterns for toddlers, kids, and adults, so you’ll be able to find a balaclava to crochet more than likely.
Take a look at the top 15 free crochet patterns for balaclavas below!
What is a Crochet Balaclava?
Crochet balaclavas are handmade, warm and comfortable winter crochet accessories that wrap around to cover the head, neck and face. They are great for keeping you warm and cozy in cold weather, and you probably have worn one before without even knowing it!
They are commonly worn in skiing, snowboarding, and other winter outdoor activities, but can be worn out during a trip to the store as well. Balaclavas can fit tightly or loosely depending on the pattern for it, and there is not a right or wrong way to wear one.
How to Crochet a Balaclava
To crochet a balaclava hood, you will need a few supplies like yarn, a crochet hook and one of the free crochet patterns below.
- Yarn: The best yarn to crochet a balaclava is one that will keep you cozy warm, like a bulky five weight or super bulky 6 weight. But keep in mind, when crocheting balaclavas it can be made with any size yarn you wish.
- My favorite yarn would be Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick for a warm balaclava.
- If you would like to use a wool for added warmth, then use a super wash version that can easily be washed when needed.
- If you are allergic to wool, you can use an acrylic yarn to make a balaclava instead.
- Crochet Hook: The most common hook size used for a five or six weight yarn is a 9 or 10 mm crochet hook. You can use whatever hook size you’d like. I suggest reading the yarn label of the yarn you pick for the crochet hook size that is recommended
- We recommend the Tulip Etimo Hook brand.
- Scissors: A nice pair of yarn scissors are great for cutting yarn ends when required.
- A pair of rainbow stork scissors is my go to.
- Tapestry Needle: You will need this to weave in the yarn ends once you are done crocheting your balaclava.
Is it easy to crochet a balaclava?
If you are a beginner to crocheting, then you can make a balaclava. You will need to know some basic stitches such as single crochet and half double crochet to begin.
You will also find that some patterns will call for simple increases and decreases to help shape the hood of the balaclava. These patterns may also call for working in the front or back loops, which will create texture and warmth. While some of these balaclavas are worked in one piece, you may need to seam or join together some pattern pieces as well.
Balaclava Crochet Patterns
Crochet balaclava patterns are a great way to create a warm and stylish accessory for the colder months. If you intend to spend time outdoors, then a balaclava is a great way to keep your head, neck and face toasty.
These patterns provide step-by-step instructions for crocheting a balaclava, including the necessary materials and techniques needed to complete the project.
The Crochet Granny Square Balaclava - FREE Pattern + Video Tutorial
These unique balaclava patterns are so fun to work up since they are made with granny squares! Get the full free granny balaclava pattern below.
Red Heart Cozy Crochet Ribbed Hood
This easy crochet hood is the perfect cold weather accessory. It uses yarn that is extra soft and cozy, which makes it great for winter. Crochet this stylish balaclava today with the free PDF below.
Bear Hood Balaclava Pattern
Make this adorable bear hood with ears for your little one to keep them warm all winter long. This cute bear balaclava is a free PDF download and easy to make as well. Get the free pattern below.
Red Heart Crochet Ribbed Balaclava For Adults
This beginner balaclava pattern is a perfect way to stay cozy this year! Get the free pattern below in PDF form and get started on this easy design.
Crochet Sherpa Balaclava Hood - Free Pattern
If you want to make the ultimate cozy balaclava for winter, then this pattern is the one! It uses extra fuzzy Sherpa yarn, so you'll be warmer longer while you're on the slopes.
Red Heart Crochet Balaclava
Stay warm with this crocheted balaclava, but also show your style with this brightly colored piece! This balaclava is made with Red heart super saver yarn in the color retro stripe, which gives it a fun vibe.
Crochet Ski Mask Balaclava Pattern
This free pattern is available in a variety of different sizes, so you can crochet a balaclava for everyone you know! If you love easy patterns, then this hood pattern is for you!
Ribbed Balaclava for Kids pattern by Red Heart Design Team
Get ready for winter with this easy crochet balaclava that is not only a free pattern but uses simple stitches as well. This cozy hood will keep you warm during with winter since it uses Red Heart Super Saver yarn.
Cicada Balaclava Pattern
This is an adorable bug balaclava that most kids would love to wear!
Happy Hoodie Pattern
Here is another adorable bear hoodie that is not only warm and functional, but cute too!
One Skein Balaclava: Free Crochet Pattern
This balaclava crochet pattern is not only free, but easy to make as well! It uses one skein of yarn and is meant to fit tightly around the face to keep your neck and head warm.
Warm Winter Ski Mask Balaclava Free Pattern
This ski mask balaclava can be made in 7 different sizes, which means you can crochet one for the whole family to stay warm on the slopes!
Niskanen Helmet Balaclava Pattern
This free pattern is perfect to wear during the winter since it's cozy but also stylish!
Hope Hood Pattern
If you can half double crochet, then you can make this baclava hood pattern! It works up quickly, uses a simple stitch and uses an extra cozy yarn, so you'll always be warm. Find the crochet pattern for a balaclava below to get started!
Hooded Alpa Pattern
You'll love that this hood is meant to not only be used as a balaclava but as a scarf as well! This easy to adjust pattern can be changed from a balaclava to a scarf depending on the weather. Find the pattern below with easy instructions to get started today.
More Free Crochet Hat & Ear Warmer Patterns
If you enjoyed browsing through the baclava patterns above, then you’ll probably love our collection of easy to make hats and ear warmers as well!
- 13 Adorable Crochet Cat Hat Patterns
- Winter Crochet Beanie Pattern
- Free and Easy Crochet Sun Hat Patterns for Summer
- 11 Easy Crochet Ribbed Beanie Patterns
- 10 Cute Crochet Dog Hat Patterns to Make For Your Pup
- Ponytail Headband Crochet Patterns
- 14 Free Crochet Beret Patterns
- Neon Rainbow Striped Crochet Hat
- 7 Crochet Slouch Hat Patterns
- Chunky Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern