This oversized crochet infinity scarf is so easy to make that you could whip out a few of these as last minutes gifts or even for yourself in no time at all!
To get started right away, scroll on down to find the free crochet pattern for this oversized scarf!
The Stitches in this Cowl
To crochet this beginner-friendly cowl, you’ll only need to know a few basic crochet stitch. If you can double crochet, chain and slip stitch then you can make this easy beginner-friendly scarf! Learn more about the double crochet(dc abbreviated) stitch below, as well as the other stitches below in the pattern.
Double Crochet (dc):
- Wrap the yarn over (Yo) the hook, insert the hook into the specified st.
- Yo the hook again, draw the yarn through the st, so there are 3 loops on the hook
- Yo the hook again draw it through 2 loops, so there are 2 loops on the hook
- Yo the hook, draw it through the final 2 loops.
The Yarn That Is Perfect for This Big + Cozy Crochet Scarf!
I used a six weight super bulky yarn from Michaels called Cozy Wool and a size Q crochet hook. I wanted to make sure to use the bulky yarn and larger crochet hook, so my scarf was oversized!
If you haven’t had the chance to work with Cozy Wool Yarn then you are in for a treat since it is extremely squishy & soft!
I also love the fact that this yarn makes the scarf big enough to wear as a hood (see the picture above) or just as a regular scarf, which makes it perfect for those days that it’s extra chilly out. Which is almost every day during Winter here in Pennsylvania.
If you don’t have access to this yarn, then Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick & Quick is a good substitute to make this cowl.
Once you have Read on down to find the free crochet cowl pattern! Happy Crocheting!
Oversized Mustard Crochet Scarf Pattern
Skill Level: Basic
- 2 Skeins of Loops & Threads® Cozy Wool™ Yarn in Goldenrod or any other bulky 6 yarn such as Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick
- Crochet Hook, Size Q
- Yarn needle
Crochet Stitch Abbreviations
Double Crochet (dc)
Slip Stitch (sl st):
- Insert hook into designated stitch
- Yo (yarn over) and pull back through the st and through the loop on the hook.
Chain Stitch (ch):
A simple crochet stitch that often forms the foundation of what crochet stitches are worked into during projects.
- Make a slip knot.
- Insert hook into slip knot point first, bring yarn over the shaft of the hook from back to front and grab it with the throat of the hook.
- Draw hooked yarn through slip knot and onto the hook. This movement will make one chain stitch
- Repeat steps two and three until you have the desired number of stitches for a pattern. One loop will remain on hook
- a common term used to describe any stitch
- 4 DC’s = 4 Inches
- The finished size of this cowl is approximately a 36-INCH circumference and 13-INCH width. Take a look at our scarf size chart to see
- Slip Stitches(sl sts) do not count as chains (skip them when working in the round)
- Make sure to join slip stitches in top of double crochets, not the chain 2’s in each round.
- Written in US terms.
The Chunky Crochet Scarf Pattern
Round 1: Ch 34, join with a sl st to first ch to form a circle (be careful not to twist)
Round 2: Ch 2, sc in the next st, and in every st around (34) sl st to the top of the first dc from the round.
Round 3-8: Rep round 2. Fasten off the yarn and cut with scissors after round 8
Finishing: Weave in loose ends with a yarn needle, and you are done with your chunky yarn cowl!
Thanks for Checking Out This Easy Crochet Scarf Pattern!
I hope you had fun making this easy to make and oversized crochet scarf/cowl and if you have any questions feel free to message me.
You May Also Like These Free Crochet Scarf Patterns
- Textured Crochet Neck Warmer Pattern
- Josie Chunky Crochet Scarf Pattern
- 6 Must Make Pocket Shawl Crochet Patterns
- Ombre Crochet Neck Warmer Cowl Pattern
- Williams Puff Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Crochet Scarves to Make for Christmas
- 18 Easy Crochet Scarf Patterns to Make Today
- Crochet Griddle Stitch Scarf Pattern
- The Best Crochet Stitches for Scarves
- Free Ombre Crochet Scarf Pattern