Are you looking for an extra cozy blanket to crochet? If so, The Granite Crochet Throw Blanket is among one of the top coziest blankets ever!
Why Make This Chunky Crochet Throw?
Here are a few reasons to make this crochet blanket.
- It’s soft
- Uses one stitch
- Available in 8 blanket sizes
This chunky throw blanket currently has a permanent spot on my couch because my kids ask for it every day to snuggle. It is that soft!
This amazingly soft blanket uses only one stitch, which means it’s a great beginner project to work on. It also means it works up extremely fast since we are using chunky yarn.
This easy crochet pattern comes in eight different sizes if a throw blanket is not exactly what you’re looking for. I can’t wait for you to check out this simple throw pattern – it’s become a favorite around my house since I made it.
Related: If you were looking for a granite stitch (aka moss stitch, sand stitch etc.) blanket then you may like our Moss Stitch Baby Blanket.
The Yarn That’s Perfect For This Crochet Throw!
I used Bernat Blanket Yarn from Yarnspirations, which happens to be one of the softest yarns imaginable! If you’d like to see more patterns with this yarn, take a look at my post about the blankets you can make with this cozy yarn.
Another great advantage of Bernat’s Blanket Yarn is that it lacks all the fuzzy threads that get everywhere with other yarn types. This blanket stays beautiful even after multiple washes!
Once you work with this type of yarn, you’ll see that it is perfect for a blanket because it crochets up so fast and is soft! Bulky yarn equals faster crochet projects.
You need to try this yarn. Seriously, you won’t regret it. I found mine at my local craft store, and it was pretty inexpensive with a coupon, or if you want you can check out Amazon too!
This Blanket Uses Only One Crochet Stitch!
This chunky crochet blanket pattern uses just one crochet stitch! Yep, one! I ended up using single crochets for the entire crochet pattern.
The single crochets make it a great beginner crochet pattern for a new crocheter to try. If you can single crochet, then you definitely can crochet this blanket!
You can do it! Promise! I worked this example up in less than two weeks in the evening and watching my daughter at swim practice.
Make this Blanket in 8 Different Sizes
We love the fact that you can crochet a blanket like this in multiple blanket sizes! If you’d like a throw blanket or just a baby blanket, then you can make it with this pattern!
Take a look at the available blanket sizes to crochet below.
Granite Crochet Throw Blanket Pattern
Skill Level: Basic
- Bernat Blanket Yarn: See Size Chart below for yardage
- 9 mm crochet hook
- Large yarn needle
- sc = single crochet
- st = stitch
- ch = chain
- rep = repeat
- 7 sts x 5 rows = 4″ x 4″
- Gauge pattern: Ch 8 and follow pattern as written below for 5 rows.
- The granite blanket pattern is written in US terms
- Size can be adjusted by chaining any # to achieve the desired length
- Make a solid color blanket, or use the random stripe generator to make a striped design.
- I changed yarn colors on mine when it came to the end of the ball of yarn.
Yardage & Skein Chart
The total skeins needed is calculated using the Bernat Blanket Yarn 10.5 oz, 201 yard size. If you use a different super bulky 6 yarn, use yardage instead.
|Blanket Size||Total Yardage||Total Skeins|
|Blanket Size||Height||Width||Starting Ch||Rows|
The Blanket Pattern Steps
Ch 22 (54, 71, 75, 92, 117, 159, 190)
Row 1: In the second ch from the hook sc, sc into each ch across, turn. 21 (53, 70, 74, 91, 116, 158, 189)
Row 2: Ch 1, in the first st sc, sc into each st across, turn.
Row 3 – See chart for sizes: rep row 2.
- Fasten off yarn with scissors and weave in loose ends with yarn needle throughout the blanket
More Crochet Blanket Patterns
If you loved this pattern, then you will probably LOVE the Jane Crochet Throw Blanket too! Below are some other patterns that I think you’ll love as well.
- 10 Cozy Crochet Blanket and Afghan Patterns You’ll Love
- Easy Moss Stitch Crochet Baby Blanket
- Rainbow Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Easy Crochet Afghan Pattern (8 Sizes)
- Mountain Pine Crochet Tree Blanket
- American Flag Crochet Patterns for Blankets
- 11 Free C2C Crochet Graphgan Patterns
- Free Christmas Crochet Blanket Patterns
- Textured Crochet Afghan Pattern (+7 Sizes!)
- Modern Square Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Crochet Ghost Halloween C2C Blanket Pattern
You may remember me using Bernat Blanket yarn to design my Sea Soft Baby Blanket from a few years ago. My sister still uses this until now, and it has held up amazingly well.