Are you looking for a cozy and chunky crochet cowl? If so, you have come to the right place! I had so much fun creating the Andy scarf that I thought I would make a chunky cowl pattern to match which is named the Andy Chunky Cowl fittingly.
Read on down to learn about the stitches you’ll need to know, all the materials you’ll want and to find the free cowl crochet pattern!
The Yarn That’s Perfect for This Cowl
I used Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick in Starlight which is a super bulky 6 yarn with hints of metallic gold strands. It really is beautiful!
Wool-Ease Thick & Quick is a super bulky 6 yarn that comes in a large variety of gorgeous colors. If you have a color of yarn in mind you will be able to find it with this yarn line!
The Stitches That You’ll Need to Know for This Bulky Cowl
This pattern is a great for a beginner crocheter who is looking for something a bit more challenging.
I used simple half double crochet and single crochet stitches throughout the entire cowl pattern!
Learn more about these basic beginner stitches below.
- Half Double Crochet Video Lesson
- Half Double Crochet Written Lesson
- Single Crochet Video Lesson
- Single Crochet Written Lesson
I love simple!
I hope you enjoy this chunky cowl pattern and please feel free to share them with me when you are done! Find the FREE pattern below!
The Chunky Andy Cowl Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- < 1 skein of Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick in Starlight
- Two 2″ buttons
- Yarn needle
- Crochet hook size N 10.00 mm
- HDC = half double crochet
- CH = chain
- BL = back loop
- ST = stitch
- Finished Size = 24″ circumference & 7″ high – fits teen – adult woman
- Written in Standard US Terms
Chunky Crochet Cowl Pattern
Each row is approximately 3.5″ long and 1″ high
FOUNDATION ROW: CH 7, HDC in 2nd ch from hook, HDC in remaining CH’s across, turn (6)
ROW 1: CH 1, working in the BL and starting in 2nd CH from hook HDC, BL HDC in remaining CH’s across, turn. (6)
ROW 2: CH 1, working in the BL and starting in the 1st ST HDC, BL HDC in remaining ST’s across, turn. (6)
3- 29: repeat row 2. (6)
Next: Do not fasten off yarn, CH 1, see scarf pattern below on how to continue.
Main Body of The Scarf
Worked along long side of ribbing, going back along the edge of the ribbing you just worked up
Gauge is 3 ST’s for every 2″
ROW 1: 41 HDC’s evenly across long side of ribbing, turn. (41)
ROW 2: CH 1, HDCBL , HDC in the BL of every ST across, turn. (41)
ROW 3-4: repeat row 2. (41) (do not fasten off)
Fold scarf in half wrong side out so the short ends meet, attach yarn needle to yarn, weave up side in and out to join short ends together. Fasten off yarn, turn scarf to the right side out.
Attach buttons securely with yarn and yarn needle. Buttons are not functional they are just for decoration. With yarn needle, weave in loose ends throughout scarf.
If you have any questions about this chunky cowl pattern feel free to ask me anytime!
More Free Crochet Cowl and Scarf Patterns
- 7 Cozy Fall Crochet Scarf Patterns You’ll Love
- 13 Lacy Crochet Scarf Patterns
- Waffle Stitch Crochet Scarf Pattern
- Textured Crochet Neck Warmer Pattern
- Josie Chunky Crochet Scarf Pattern
- Crochet Pocket Shawl Patterns
- Ombre Crochet Neck Warmer Pattern
- Williams Puff Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Crochet Scarves to Make for Christmas