The crochet sand stitch is a great stitch to learn to showcase yarn colors that are bold and scream for attention! The way this unique stitch which also is called the moss stitch or granite stitch can be used with color makes it a must-have crochet stitch to learn!
Read on down to learn how to do the sand stitch in crochet today!
Are you looking to learn more unique crochet stitches? Explore the crochet stitch database for inspiration.
The Yarn That’s Perfect For The Sand Stitch
For my example in the sand stitch swatch I used three different color yarns and will refer to them as A, B, and C. Any worsted weight yarn will work if you’d like to mimic what I am showing.
If you’d like to make this sand stitch with a bulky yarn, that would work too, just be sure to use the recommended hook size for the yarn. I listed a few of my favorite yarns, Vanna’s Choice and Wool-Ease Thick + Quick below, that you can try to make the sand stitch with.
Perfect Crochet Stitch for Beginners!
Thinking you can’t do this crochet stitch? Well, this stitch tutorial is a perfect project for beginners! You will need to know how to single crochet and chain. That’s it! Explore each of the stitches I have listed out below so you’ll be ready to start making a project with the sand stitch.
Stitches used in the Sand Stitch
Single Crochet (sc):
- Insert hook from front to back in the second chain from the hook or designated stitch
- Bring the yarn over (YO) the hook and pull the yarn back through the chain (or stitch) from back to front (2 loops on hook).
- YO and pull through both loops on the hook.
Chain Stitch (ch):
A simple crochet stitch that often forms the foundation of what crochet stitches are worked into during projects.
- Make a slip knot.
- Insert hook into slip knot point first, bring yarn over the shaft of the hook from back to front and grab it with the throat of the hook.
- Draw hooked yarn through slip knot and onto the hook. This movement will make one chain stitch
- Repeat steps two and three until you have the desired number of stitches for a pattern. One loop will remain on hook.
Once you get the hang of this simple sand stitch, your project will come together quick.
You May Also Like This Pattern
Once you get this tutorial perfected, why not try out my free crochet pattern the Jane Throw Blanket that uses the moss stitch aka sand stitch as well! You’ll LOVE it! Promise.
If you love the use of color in crochet projects, then you will definitely enjoy this fun 3 color crochet sand stitch! Keep on scrolling down to find the free photo tutorial for the Crochet Sand Stitch!
Crochet Sand Stitch Tutorial
Skill Level: Easy
- Crochet Hook that corresponds to the yarn that is being used.
- I used a worsted weight yarn Lion Brand Yarn, Vanna’s Choice. Make sure to have 3 different color yarns
- Yarn Needle
- sc= Single Crochet
- ch = Chain
- st (s) = Stitch (es)
- sk = Skip
- If you need help with changing yarn colors, I have an easy tutorial available.
- Colors will be referred to as Color A, Color B, Etc.
- Written in standard US terms
Sand Stitch in Crochet Steps
To Start ch an even number of st(s). I chose to do 16 for this tutorial.
Foundation Row: With Color A, sc in 4th ch from hook (that will count as your first sc, ch 1 grouping) *ch 1, sk next ch, 1 sc in next ch, repeat from * across, turn, change colors to B.
Row 1: With B, ch 2 (that will count as your first sc, ch 1 grouping), sk first sc (from previous row), * 1 sc in next ch 1 space (from previous row), ch 1, sk next sc (from previous row) Repeat from * across. Ending with 1 sc in ch 1 space of turning ch, turn. Change to Color C.
Row 2: Repeat Row 1 with Color C
Finishing: To continue pattern Repeat Row 1, Switching Between A, B and C Yarns. Remember to carry yarn loosely up the sides.
Did You Love This Sand Stitch Tutorial?
If so, then you may also like some of my other fun crochet tutorials, like the primrose stitch tutorial and how to change colors in crochet tutorial as well. Below you will find even more stitch tutorials to crochet as well!
More Crochet Stitch Tutorials
- Moss Stitch Crochet Tutorial
- How to Crochet a Granny Stitch in Rows
- How to Make a Crochet Rib Stitch (Photo Tutorial)
- How to Crochet the Shell Stitch (Step-by-Step Instructions)
- How to Crochet the Waffle Stitch
- How to Corner-to-Corner Crochet (C2C) for Beginners
- How to Crochet Back Loop Single Crochet
- How to Half Double Crochet Two Stitches Together or Half Double Crochet Decrease
- Must Try Textured Crochet Stitches
- How to Make a Slip Knot in Crochet