How to Crochet a Hat
It has been so chilly here lately that I couldn’t help myself and crocheted up this chunky flower button hat for my daughter!
If you love crochet hat patterns then this one is for you!
I love fall and I can’t wait for her to wear it when the leaves start falling! What is your favorite crochet piece to make for fall?
Mine has to be crochet hats… Oh, and maybe crochet scarves too! I guess I’ll have to do both!
If you’d like to make this free chunky crochet hat pattern just follow along with the pattern below to learn how to make this easy crochet hat!
How to Make a Crochet Hat
Skill Level: Easy
- Super Bulky Yarn (Weight #6). We will need less than 125 yards
- Size N Crochet Hook 9 mm
- Button (I used these Brown Coconut Shell Buttons.)
- Yarn Needle
- Stitch Marker
- SC = Single Crochet
- DC = Double Crochet
- ST = Stitch
- SL ST = Slip Stitch
- CH = Chain
- The finished size of this hat has a 20″ circumference & 7.75″ length
- Fits an Older Child to teen. Reference our Hat Size Chart for more information.
- The SL ST’s in each round do not count as a stitch. (Skip them)
- Move up stitch marker at the beginning of every round (It’s easier to keep track of your rounds this way)
- Written in Standard US Terms.
- SELLING: You may sell items made from patterns on Easy Crochet unless otherwise stated. If you choose to sell items made from this pattern, please link back to me at www.easycrochet.com for credit. Please do not use my pictures to sell your items.
- IMAGES & CONTENT: The images and content of EasyCrochet.com are protected by copyright laws. Do not distribute or copy the content without written permission. Do not edit or remove watermarks from any original image from easycrochet.com. If you would like to share an image, please only use 1 with a link back to Easy Crochet. Thank you for respecting my work.
- TRANSLATIONS: Please do not post a translation of my pattern(s) anywhere. If you would like to help make a translation I would be happy to publish it on Easy Crochet with a link and full credit to your blog. For further questions, please email email@example.com.
The Hat Pattern Steps
ROUND 1: Start with a magic circle. CH 1,11 DC in circle, SL ST to top of first DC (11DC)
ROUND 2: 2 DC in every ST around (22 DC), SL ST to top of first DC from previous round
ROUND 3: DC in first ST, *2 DC in next St, DC in next stitch, Repeat from * around. SL ST to top of first DC from previous round (33 DC)
ROUND 4: DC in each ST Around, SL ST to top of first DC from previous round (33 DC)
ROUND 5: REPEAT ROUND 4
ROUND 6: REPEAT ROUND 4
ROUND 7: REPEAT ROUND 4
ROUND 8: SC in each ST around, SL ST to top of first ST from previous round (33 DC)
ROUND 9: REPEAT 8
ROUND 10: REPEAT 8, Fasten Off
Crochet Flower for Hat
ROUND 1: Magic Circle, 10 SC in Circle, SL ST to first SC
ROUND 2: CH 2 , 2 DC in same ST, *SL ST in next ST, 3 DC in next ST. Repeat for a total of 5 Petals. SL ST,Fasten off leaving tail for weaving in.
- Attach button to center of flower with yarn.
- Weave ends into the hat with a yarn needle.
- Attach flower to hat with a yarn needle.
Thanks for stopping by! If you have any questions about this crochet hat tutorial please feel free to contact me! If you are looking for another quick and easy crochet hat you may like my Emily Diagonal Beanie too!
Made the hat but added 1 additional increase round as I have a big head and used Bernat blanket yarn.
It made it a slouchy hat and looks lovely. Now off to the store for a sparkly pink button. Also, I did the single crochet in the round and only did 2 rows and it was fine!
How much yarn is required to do this hat
This was one of my first written designs and I, unfortunately, didn’t write that part down. I believe I used one skein of yarn so approximately 80-100 yards.
Where is the pattern for the cute hat pictured? I just see how to crochet a hat. Thank you
Krista, what is a magic circle? Thanks, Ann
Hi Ann, Here is a great tutorial on how to crochet a magic circle. 🙂 https://yarnandchai.com/how-to-crochet-a-magic-circle/
Awesome pattern! I didn’t have any bulky yarn in the color I wanted on hand, so I used three different strands of grays and white to make it! It turned out great, though I might have to make one a smidge bigger =)
Thank you! I am so glad you liked it! 🙂
Hi! Love this hat and i made it ….fit my 4 yr old perfect! I want to make some in adult size with this pattern! Can you help me on how to do that?? Thank YOU!!
Does this hat really require 6 skeins of chunky yarn?
Hi. This pattern calls for bulky yarn size 6. Hope this helps!
What are the hat measurements? I feel like mine is suitable for a 4/5 yr old and not older child :s
The finished size of this hat has a 20″ circumference & 7.75″ length
How can I make this hat for a 22″ head circumference? I love it and want to make one for myself!
I love this hat but wanted to make it for a 22″ head circumference. Do I need to increase on the round? If so how many additional stitches? (It’s 11 to start I believe)
I would keep doing an increase round until you reach about 6″ across.then continue on as written. Hope this helps! 🙂
No chaining at each new row?
No not on this one 🙂
Somehow mine wasn’t lined up to slip stitch on row 7. I’ll have to try again. Do you think it could be made with baby blanket yarn perhaps dropping a row or 2 if necessary?
Hi Heidi! I bet it could! I would love to see it if you decide to try it will that kind of yarn.
Loved this. I made three different ones for my gram.
I’m glad you loved this! 🙂 I hope your gram liked them! 🙂