Make this simple half double crochet ripple baby blanket with this free crochet pattern and tutorial. Read on down to get started on your next crocheted baby blanket project!
Great Ripple Blanket to Make As a Baby Shower Gift!
I have been dreaming about designing a smaller version of my Neutral Crochet Chevron pattern, and this little beauty of a ripple crochet baby blanket was the result. This free baby ripple afghan is great for baby showers, gifts and a just because I want to make a baby gift blanket. Have fun making this ripple baby blanket pattern!
The Perfect Crochet Ripple Baby Blanket Pattern
When I worked up this blanket, I wrote it to be the perfect blanket size for a baby/stroller blanket. I would love to see it made in a different size, so please do try it and share it with me!
Another great bonus about this design is that it’s such a fast baby blanket crochet pattern to work up, which is always a good thing in my book!
The Yarn That’s Great for This Ripple Blanket
I love unlimited color choices with my projects, so I went straight to my favorite Lion Brand Yarn Vanna’s Choice and chose the colors, Mustard & Linen. Vanna’s is a 100% acrylic yarn that works up beautifully, is washable and easy to find in most craft stores.
Almost any color scheme would look great with this crochet baby blanket, so have fun and be creative with when you are planning your blanket.
Click the yarn below to take a peek!
Easiest Ripple Baby Blankets
Like I said before, this blanket works up pretty quickly! It is easily one of the fastest baby blanket patterns! I promise you can crochet this up quickly even if you are a beginner. It uses a few simple crochet stitches, like the half double crochet (hdc) and chain stitch (ch).
Crochet Stitches for a Ripple Blanket
Learn more about each stitch below before you get started, so you’ll be ready to make this baby blanket as soon as possible.
Half Double Crochet (hdc):
- Yo (yarn over) insert hook from front to back of the designated stitch, yo the hook and pick up a loop.
- Yo the hook and pull back through all three loops on the hook.
Chain Stitch (ch):
A simple crochet stitch that often forms the foundation of what crochet stitches are worked into during projects.
- Make a slip knot.
- Insert hook into slip knot point first, bring yarn over the shaft of the hook from back to front and grab it with the throat of the hook.
- Draw hooked yarn through slip knot and onto the hook. This movement will make one chain stitch
- Repeat steps two and three until you have the desired number of stitches for a pattern. One loop will remain on hook.
Now that you know how easy this blanket will be to crochet, then you don’t have to look through baby crochet patterns online anymore! All you need is this pattern, some yarn, knowledge of some basic crochet stitches and your crochet hook!
Ready to Try Out This Simple Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern?
Scroll on down to find the free pattern, so you can learn how to crochet a baby blanket, or you can click here to purchase an inexpensive, ad-free PDF in my pattern shop.
Free Ripple Stitch Crochet Baby Blanket
Skill Level: Easy
- Vanna’s Choice Yarn in Mustard & Linen approx. 3 skeins each (1,020 yards) or any worsted weight (4) yarn
- Size J crochet hook 6.00 mm
- Yarn needle
- Measuring tape
- ch(s)- chain(s)
- hdc(s) – half double crochet(s)
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- Gauge is approx. 5 st’s for every 2″. Each st is approx .5″ in height.
- Learn why gauge is important to follow.
- The finished blanket size is 28″ x34″(inches)
- This pattern is written in American Standard Terms.
- To make in different sizes of this blanket, please use a multiple starting ch of 8 then add 2 to whatever length you have chosen.
- Use the blanket sizing calculator to get measurements, rows, and yardage for standard blanket sizes.
- I recommend weaving in ends as you go.
- Here is a tutorial on changing colors if it is needed. Click here → “How to Change Colors in Crochet”
I am using two yarn colors, Linen, and Mustard from the Vanna’s Choice Line.
Foundation Row: Ch 72 + 2 with linen
Row 1: Starting in 2nd ch from hook hdc, *hdc once in each of the next 3 chs, hdc the next 2 chs together, hdc once in each of the next 3 chs, 2 hdcs in the next ch, repeat from * until the end, turn. (73)
Row 2: Ch 1, starting in the first st hdc, * hdc once in each of the next 3 sts, hdc the next 2 st’s together, hdc once in each of the next 3 st’s, 2 hdc’s in the next st, repeat from * until the end, turn. ( 73)
Row 3: Change color to Mustard and repeat row 2 (73)
Row 4: Repeat row 2 (73)
Row 5: Change color to Linen and repeat row 2 (73)
Row 6: Repeat row 2 (73)
Row 7 – 34: Repeat row 2 alternating colors every 2 rows. (73)
Finishing: Fasten off, cut the yarn with scissors and weave in loose ends throughout the ripple blanket with a yarn needle.
If you have any questions about this baby ripple crochet blanket, please feel free to email me! I am more than happy to help in any way possible. Save it to Pinterest to make later with our images below! Make sure to follow along with us too, so you never miss out on a new free pattern or tutorial.
More Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns to Make
- Bobble Crochet Baby Blanket (+7 Bonus Sizes)
- Textured Puff Stitch Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Corner to Corner Heart Blanket for Baby
- Easy Crochet Baby Blanket with Ripples
- Falling In Striped Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Granny Stitch Ripple Blanket Baby Pattern
- The Finley: An Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
- “The Riley” an Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
- Easy Double Crochet Blanket
- Free Crochet Lovey Pattern Baby Blanket
- 11+ Easy Crochet Beginner Baby Blanket Patterns