If you’d like to learn how to crochet a shamrock for St. Patrick’s Day then you’ve come to the right place! These adorable green crochet shamrocks are perfect to add to almost any project and work up extremely fast too.
I used this pattern to make a shamrock cup cozy if you’d also like to check that out too. It is a fun quick project, so you could make both the appliqué and the cozy for St. Patrick’s Day.
If you’re ready to crochet an easy shamrock, then scroll on down for the pattern, to learn about the stitches and the yarn you’ll want to use to make these free shamrock patterns! Psst: Don’t forget to check out the four clover crochet pattern too!
Happy Shamrock Crocheting!
To make these shamrocks, you will need to know some basic crochet stitches. If you can single crochet and double crochet, then you will be good to go. Learn more about each stitch below if you’d like a refresher.
Crochet Stitches for a Shamrock
- Insert hook from front to back in the second chain from the hook or designated stitch
- Bring the yarn over (YO) the hook and pull the yarn back through the chain (or stitch) from back to front (2 loops on hook).
- YO and pull through both loops on the hook.
Double Crochet (dc):
- Wrap the yarn over (YO) the hook, insert the hook into the specified st.
- YO the hook again, draw the yarn through the st so there are 3 loops on the hook
- YO the hook again draw it through 2 loops, so there are 2 loops on the hook
- YO the hook, draw it through the final 2 loops.
To make crocheted shamrocks you will want to use Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice yarn in Olive which is a four weight yarn. If you’d like to make a shamrock in a different color that’s fine too because Vanna’s Choice comes in a big variety of colors that you can pick from.
You could use any brand of #4 weight yarn you have on hand but just be aware they may turn out slightly different from my shamrock examples.
You will only need a small amount of yarn to crochet a shamrock so leftover yarn or yarn scraps would work great if you have any saved.
Ready to Get Started?
Scroll on down to find the full free shamrock pattern for Saint Patrick’s Day as well a picture tutorial.
Happy Shamrock Making!
Crochet Shamrock Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- Less than 10 yards of Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice yarn in Olive (or any medium weight 4 yarn)
- Crochet hook size J 6.00 mm
- Yarn needle
- Approximately 2″ width & 3″ height at widest & tallest points of the shamrock.
- ch = chain
- st = stitch
- sl st = slip stitch
- sc = single crochet
- dc = double crochet
- Written in standard US terms
- Block shamrock after weaving in ends so that it lays flat and has better shape.
- See stitch abbreviations above to see what they mean in the pattern.
- If you have any questions, please join the Easy Crochet Facebook group for a faster response. We are nice. Promise!
- Use these shamrocks as appliques, string together as garland and much more!
The Shamrock Pattern
Round 1: ch 2, in 2nd ch from hook sc 4 times, sl st to top of first sc.
Round 2: ch 2, dc 2 times in first st, sl st in next st, dc 3 times in same st as sl st, sl st in next st, dc 3 times in same st as sl st, sl st in next st, sl st in next st, ch 5, in 2nd ch from hook sc, sc in next 4 ch’s sl st into sl st from round 1.
Finishing: pull yarn through last st and cut with scissors. Weave in loose ends with a yarn needle. Block shamrock if desired. (check notes section above for link on how to block)
More Free Crochet Patterns
- Free Crochet Christmas Patterns for the Home
- 13+ Free Crochet Snowflake Patterns
- 8+ Free Crochet Patterns for Father’s Day
- Crochet Heart Dishcloth Pattern
- Four Leaf Clover Crochet Pattern
- St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Crochet Pattern
- The Best Easy Crochet Christmas Stockings
- Free Snowmen Crochet Patterns
- Festive Crochet Christmas Tree Hat Patterns
- 12+ Awesome & Unique Gifts for Crocheters
- Crochet Scarves to Make for Christmas
- Small Crochet Pumpkin Pattern (Free & Easy)