The mesh stitch in crochet is great for any crochet project where you want to create a lacy look. The mesh stitches are also known as filet crochet, which is made up of open squares and filled squares.
Open stitches using filet crochet are most commonly used for doilies, tablecloths, and home decor projects as well as wearables. Speaking of wearables, I am currently making a mesh stitch scarf using this stitch, so be on the lookout for a new pattern soon!
Read on down to learn a new tutorial… How to crochet a mesh stitch!
The Yarn & Hook for The Mesh Stitch
You will need a few supplies to get started with making a mesh stitch in crochet, such as yarn (any brand and weight will work) and the appropriate size crochet hook according to the yarn package you have chosen.
I used a worsted weight yarn with a size 4.50 mm hook, but any size hook and yarn will work for this particular tutorial, as mentioned before. I linked up the yarn Skein Tones from Lion Brand and my Tulip crochet hook I used below.
Let’s Get Started
Now that we have the materials and supplies out that you’ll need, just scroll down to find the step-by-step photo tutorial about the mesh stitch!
Easy Crochet Mesh Stitch Tutorial
Skill Level: Easy
- Any yarn weight or brand. I used Skein Tones Yarn from Lion Brand.
- A crochet hook that corresponds to the yarn you have selected. I used a 4.5 mm crochet hook.
Crochet Stitches & Abbreviations
Mesh Stitch Pattern Tutorial
Step 1: Row 1
Ch an even number of sts to make the foundation row
Step 2: Row 2
1 dc in 6th ch from the hook
Ch 1, sk a st, and dc into the next st.
Rep step 3 until the end of the row.
Row 3: STEP 5
Turn the work and ch 4 (counts as a dc + ch 1)
Dc into the top of the next dc from the row before
Ch 1 and dc into the top of the next dc across, ending with a dc in the third ch of the turning ch, turn.
Rep Row 3 for the mesh stitch pattern for the remaining rows.
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed and learned something new with this crochet mesh stitch pattern. If you liked this stitch tutorial, please share it with our images below to Pinterest and save to make for later.
More Crochet Stitch Patterns & Tutorials
If you’d like to learn more stitches, then check out a few more of my crochet stitch tutorials below
- How to Single Crochet Two Together (SC2tog)
- How to Crochet Cables for Beginners
- How To Crochet The Moss Stitch – A Step-by-Step Guide!
- How to Crochet a Granny Stitch in Rows
- How to Make a Crochet Rib Stitch (Photo Tutorial)
- How to Crochet the Shell Stitch (Step-by-Step Instructions)
- How to Crochet the Waffle Stitch
- How to Corner-to-Corner Crochet (C2C) for Beginners
- How to Crochet Back Loop Single Crochet
- How to Half Double Crochet Two Stitches Together (Half Double Crochet Decrease)