Learn how to crochet a ripple blanket today with this ripple stitch tutorial! Use this tutorial to make a crochet ripple afghan, throw blanket, baby blanket, or even a scarf!
Do you love learning new crochet stitches? I can’t wait for you to use the ripple stitch and start crocheting all kinds of projects! Read on down to find the full free ripple crochet pattern!
Happy Ripple Crocheting!
Crochet Ripple Stitches
This crochet ripple pattern tutorial is simple to get the hang of and works up fast once you get the stitch repeats down. If you can double crochet and double crochet two together, then you can make this wave design!
Learn more about the double crochet stitch below.
Double Crochet (dc):
- Wrap the yarn over (Yo) the hook, insert the hook into the specified st.
- Yo the hook again, draw the yarn through the st, so there are 3 loops on the hook
- Yo the hook again draw it through 2 loops, so there are 2 loops on the hook
- Yo the hook, draw it through the final 2 loops.
Double Crochet Two Together (dc2tog)
- Yarn over, pick up a loop in next st
- Yarn over, draw the hook through 2 loops
- Yarn over, pick up a loop in next st
- Yarn over, draw through 2 loops on hook
- Yarn over, draw through three loops on hook
Once you get the hang of the double crochet used in the pattern below, you will love creating scarves, blankets, and anything you can think of with this elegant ripple stitch design.
The Yarn That’s Perfect for This Ripple Afghan Pattern!
For the entire tutorial, I worked with Red Heart Soft Yarn, which is a 100% acrylic fiber four weight yarn. You can find this yarn in many colors, but for this blanket I used the yarn colors Sea Foam and Berry.
This yarn is amazingly soft and is easy to find in most craft stores! It also works up beautiful in most crochet projects, so you’ll definitely love how this yarn has fantastic drape and coziness.
Click the Red Heart Soft yarn image below to check it out!
You are welcome to use any color you wish, or the same as I did. Have fun with it, and remember any yarn color would look pretty wonderful with this blanket design.
Read on down to learn how to make a classic ripple in crochet today!
Happy Crochet Ripple Making!
Classic Ripple Crochet Pattern Tutorial
Skill Level: Easy
- Any yarn – I used a worsted weight four yarn, Red Heart Soft Yarn
- Crochet hook 6 mm (J-10). (I used a Clover Amour Crochet Hook for this tutorial)
- Yarn needle
- The free pattern is written in Standard US terms
- Learn how to change colors in crochet with our easy color changing technique.
- Once you learn the tutorial below, you will be able to apply it to crochet a scarf or a blanket with this ripple design.
- Use the blanket size calculator to change blanket sizes.
The Classic Ripple Crochet Pattern
BEGIN: Start by chaining a multiple of 17 (example 17, 34, 51, etc)
ROW 1: 1 double crochet in 4th chain from hook, 1 double crochet in next 5 chains. (1 double crochet, chain 2, 1 double crochet) in next chain, 1 double crochet in next 7 chains, * Skip 2 chains, 1 double crochet in next 7 chains, (1 double crochet, chain 2, 1 double crochet) in next chain, 1 double crochet in next 7 chains, repeat from * across until you reach the end, turn.
ROW 2 : Chain 3, skip 1st stitch, double crochet 2 together (see notes). 1 double crochet in next 5 stitches (1 double crochet, chain 2, 1 double crochet in the chain 2 space from the previous row)
ROW 2 CONTINUED: *1 double crochet in next 7 chains, skip 2 chains
ROW 2 CONTINUED: double crochet in the next 7 chains (1 double crochet, chain 2, 1 double crochet) in next chain 2 space. Repeat from * across until last 8 stitches. 1 double crochet in next 5 stitches, double crochet 2 chains together (see notes) 1 double crochet in top of turning chain, turn.
- Repeat row 2 for the pattern
FINISHING: When you have reached the desired length of your blanket, you can fasten off the yarn and weave in the loose ends throughout with a yarn needle.
I hope you like this how to do a crochet ripple tutorial! If you need any clarification, please feel free to ask me anytime. Meanwhile, take a look at some of our free crochet blanket patterns and tutorials below.
More Crochet Patterns + Tutorials
- Mountain Pine Crochet Tree Blanket
- American Flag Crochet Patterns for Blankets
- Easy Crochet Afghan Pattern (8 Sizes)
- Free C2C Crochet Graphgan Patterns
- Free Christmas Crochet Blanket Patterns
- Textured Crochet Afghan Pattern (+7 Sizes!)
- Modern Square Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Crochet Ghost Halloween C2C Blanket Pattern
- Bobble Crochet Baby Blanket (+7 Bonus Sizes)
- Textured Puff Stitch Crochet Blanket Pattern