Do you want to learn how to crochet the bobble stitch?
Use the tutorial below or watch our bobble stitch video tutorial on YouTube for extra help.
What is a Bobble Stitch?
The bobble stitch is an easy crochet stitch to learn. It consists of a cluster of stitches which create a bobble like look when finished.
Sometimes you will see a bobble in crochet referred to as a double crochet bobble, double crochet five together (DC5TOG) or dc 5 cluster stitches.
You may also see a bobble stitch use half double crochets or even single crochets instead of the traditional double crochet.
What To Know Before You Start a Bobble Stitch
In crochet patterns, it is common to see the bobble stitch abbreviated as (BO) or (bo).
Bobble stitches are written in a variety of ways. Sometimes they will use three, four or even six double crochets to make a bobble. No matter what amount the pattern calls for the basic principle is the same.
My Tip About Bobbles: I like to space out bobbles in patterns because if you crochet one after the other it can be a bit clustered. I do this by using a single crochet stitch. You will need to single crochet before and after each bobble (BO) to make it look cleaner.
How to Crochet the Bobble Stitch
Skill Level: Easy
- Yo insert hook into designated st in row and pick up a loop. Yo draw yarn through 2 loops (3 loops)
- Yo insert hook into same st, yo draw through 2 loops (4 loops)
- Yo insert hook into same st, yo draw through 2 loops (5 loops)
- Yo insert hook into same st, yo draw through 2 loops (6 loops)
- Yo draw yarn through all 6 loops on hook, tighten down
- One BO is now complete!
Bobble Stitch Video Tutorial
Use The Bobble Stitch in a Crochet Pattern
Each crochet pattern below features the bobble stitch.
- Clara Crochet Blanket: The Clara blanket uses the bobble stitch sporadically to create a uniquely textured afghan.
- Bobble Stitch Pillow: Crochet this modern crochet pillow that uses the bobble in a unique triangle pattern.
- Bobble Scarf: This design uses the bobble stitch to create a wave like design with self striping yarn.
- Blooming Flower: The blooming flower makes a great accent piece for a hat or blanket. It features a bobble stitch as the center point.