Learning how to crochet the bobble stitch is a fun way to add texture to any crochet project. Once you learn the easy bobble stitch (bo) stitch you will be able to make any type bobble stitch pattern you’d like.
Use the bo stitch tutorial below or watch our bobble stitch video tutorial on YouTube for extra help.
What is a Bobble Stitch?
The bobble stitch is an easy crochet stitch to learn. It consists of a cluster of stitches which create a bobble like look when finished.
Sometimes you will see a bobble in crochet referred to as a double crochet bobble, double crochet five together (DC5TOG) or dc 5 cluster stitches.
You may also see a bobble stitch use half double crochets or even single crochets instead of the traditional double crochet.
A few of my favorite bobble stitch crochet patterns are:
What To Know Before You Start a Bobble Stitch
In crochet patterns, it is common to see the bobble stitch abbreviated as (BO) or (bo).
Bobble stitches are written in a variety of ways. Sometimes they will use three, four or even six double crochets to make a bobble. No matter what amount the pattern calls for the basic principle is the same.
My Tip About Bobbles: I like to space out bobbles in patterns because if you crochet one after the other it can be a bit clustered. I do this by using a single crochet stitch. You will need to single crochet before and after each bobble (BO) to make it look cleaner.
Below you will learn how to make the bobble stitch. You can also follow along with our bo stitch video tutorial too for some extra help.
How to Crochet the Bobble Stitch
Skill Level: Easy
- Yo insert hook into designated st in row and pick up a loop. Yo draw yarn through 2 loops (3 loops)
- Yo insert hook into same st, yo draw through 2 loops (4 loops)
- Yo insert hook into same st, yo draw through 2 loops (5 loops)
- Yo insert hook into same st, yo draw through 2 loops (6 loops)
- Yo draw yarn through all 6 loops on hook, tighten down
- One BO is now complete!
Bobble Stitch Video Tutorial
More Crochet Patterns using the Bobble Stitch
Each crochet pattern below features the bobble stitch.
- Clara Crochet Blanket: The Clara blanket uses the bobble stitch sporadically to create a uniquely textured afghan.
- Bobble Stitch Pillow: Crochet this modern crochet pillow that uses the bobble in a unique triangle pattern.
- Bobble Scarf: This design uses the bobble stitch to create a wave like design with self striping yarn.
- Blooming Flower: The blooming flower makes a great accent piece for a hat or blanket. It features a bobble stitch as the center point.
- Bobble Baby Blanket (+ 7 Bonus Sizes): This easy to crochet bobble stitch baby blanket is available to make in 4 baby blanket sizes as well as throw, twin, full/queen + king blanket sizes too!