Are you in the mood for all things Fall? If so, this simple blanket is perfect for you with its mustard, browns and yellow hues!
This design is a must make Fall crochet blanket if you love decorating for Autumn and need a little pop of color in your home. You’ll love crocheting this one! Promise.
Read on down to find the FREE crochet pattern and get started today, or purchase the ad-free PDF here.
Happy Fall Crocheting!
What Makes a Crochet Blanket Perfect for Fall?
This crochet blanket is perfect for Fall because it is designed with six autumn-inspired colors varying from yellows to oranges! You can change up the colors to suit your style, or even make one for a different season.
The color-blocked look along with the simple stitches make this a great beginner-friendly pattern that’ll look great when finished.
Scroll on down to learn about the yarn to use, the ONE stitch that you’ll need to know and finally remember to enjoy the free pattern!
But first, let’s discuss the yarn!
For the entire blanket, you will need to get your hands on some Vanna’s Choice yarn from Lion Brand. Most craft stores, big box stores, and Amazon usually have it in stock.
Vanna’s ChoiceBuy Now Patterns Using This Yarn →
It is a great yarn to use for items that will get lots of love, like this crochet blanket surely will! Since it is 100% acrylic, it washes up great and looks fantastic wash after wash. It is a must keep in my yarn stash for this mom of three!
Don’t forget about looking at lionbrand.com too for your yarn shopping needs (wants!)
Are you looking for a substitute yarn? Basic Stitch yarn, Heartland, or Skein Tones line which is also from Lion Brand would work perfectly. It crochets up similarly and has some great colors to pick from in its line.
Be sure to check the substitute yarns out in the link above to see if one will work for you in this blanket design.
What is The Herringbone Half Double Crochet Stitch?
The Herringbone Half Double Crochet is a variation of the basic crochet stitch, the Half Double Crochet. Just like the regular half double crochet stitch, it is easy to learn and creates a great texture to any crochet project. Refer to the tutorial and video for extra help with this stitch if needed.
The HHDC Stitch
The herringbone half double crochet stitches is worked up by…
- yarning over, inserting the hook through the designated stitch
- yarning over and pulling the hook back through the stitch (three loops on hook) now
- pulling the hook through one loop (two loops on hook)
- Then yarning over and pulling back through the last two loops.
Learn more about the HHDC in this more detailed video tutorial/lesson here.
Once you learn the HHDC stitch and have your yarn picked out and your size is chosen, then you are ready to go!
Read on down to find the full free crochet pattern, or take a look at the inexpensive PDF version of this herringbone half double crochet blanket pattern!
For any clarifications about this stitch tutorial, please feel free to join the Easy Crochet Facebook group community for help or guidance.
HHDC Fall Blanket Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- CH = Chain
- HHDC = Herringbone Half Double Crochet
- ST = Stitch
- REP = Repeat
The yarn is listed below as COLOR A, COLOR B, COLOR C, etc. below.
- COLOR A: Vanna’s Choice Linen
- COLOR B: Vanna’s Choice Terracota
- COLOR C: Vanna’s Choice Cranberry
- COLOR D: Vanna’s Choice Chocolate
- COLOR E: Vanna’s Choice Mustard
- COLOR F: Vanna’s Choice Rust
At the end of each group of colors, you will need to change colors in your crochet blanket. Learn how to do that here.
- 13 st’s x 10 rows = 4″ x 4″ = 10 grams of yarn
Baby Blanket 32″ x 32″: Ch 106 x 80 rows = 640 grams
- Rust = 106 grams or 2 skeins
- Terracotta = 106 grams or 2 skeins
- Linen = 106 grams or 2 skeins
- Mustard = 106 grams or 2 skeins
- Chocolate= 106 grams or 2 skeins
- Cranberry = 106 grams or 2 skeins
Throw Blanket 52″ x 60″: Ch 170 x 150 rows = 1,950 grams
- Rust = 325 grams or 4 skeins
- Terracotta = 325 grams or 4 skeins
- Linen = 325 grams or 4 skeins
- Mustard = 325 grams or 4 skeins
- Chocolate= 325 grams or 4 skeins
- Cranberry = 325 grams or 4 skeins
Twin Blanket 60 x 84″: Ch 195 x 210 rows = 3,150 grams
- Rust = 525 grams or 6 skeins
- Terracotta = 525 grams or 6 skeins
- Linen = 525 grams or 6 skeins
- Mustard = 525 grams or 6 skeins
- Chocolate= 525 grams or 6 skeins
- Cranberry = 525 grams or 6 skeins
Full/Queen Blanket 80″ x 92″: Ch 260 x 228 rows = 4,600 grams
- Rust = 767 grams or 8 skeins
- Terracotta = 767 grams or 8 skeins
- Linen = 767 grams or 8 skeins
- Mustard = 767 grams or 8 skeins
- Chocolate= 767 grams or 8 skeins
- Cranberry = 767 grams or 8 skeins
King Blanket 96″ x 92″: Ch 312 x 228 rows = 5,520 grams
- Rust = 920 grams or 10 skeins
- Terracotta = 920 grams or 10 skeins
- Linen = 920 grams or 10 skeins
- Mustard = 920 grams or 10 skeins
- Chocolate= 920 grams or 10 skeins
- Cranberry = 920 grams or 10 skeins
- The free crochet pattern is written in standard US terms
- The stitch count for each blanket size will be in parentheses in the following order: (baby) (throw) (twin) (queen) (king)
- Purchase the ad-free PDF here.
The Pattern Steps
Foundation Row: With COLOR A CH 105 (169)(195)(260)(312)
Row 1: in the second CH from the hook HHDC, HHDC into each CH across, turn. (104)(168)(194)(259)(311)
Row 2: CH 1, in the first ST, HHDC, HHDC into each ST across, turn. (104)(168)(194)(259)(311)
Row 3- see below: Repeat Row 2
When to change color:
*** Change colors every (13,25,35,38,38) rows repeating row 2 in the following order COLOR B, COLOR C, COLOR D, COLOR E, COLOR F ***
Finishing: Fasten off the yarn after the last row and weave in all the loose ends throughout the pattern with a yarn needle.
More Free Crochet Fall Patterns
- Apple Crochet Patterns Perfect for Fall
- Fall Apple Crochet Coaster
- Cozy Up Your Home with Crochet Fall Decor (All Free Patterns)
- 8 Spooky Crochet Halloween Projects to Haunt Your Home
- 5 Crochet Patterns For Thanksgiving (All Free)