Crocheting a double crochet square is easy to do because you only need to know one stitch, which makes it a very friendly pattern to new crocheters. Keep on reading down to learn how to make this super simple square that will use up your scrap yarn and make something beautiful!
All you will need to do is double crochet eight times back and forth for four rows to get a 5″ X 5″ solid square!
Double Crochet Stitch
To make this easy square, you will only need to know one stitch, the double crochet! The double crochet stitch(dc) or dc abbreviated is one of the first stitches beginners learn, so this pattern is very beginner-friendly.
I also used it in my classic granny square tutorial too! It’s definitely a favorite stitch of mine to use in squares. You can learn more about the double crochet stitch with my tutorial or in my double crochet video lesson that is posted below too.
Double Crochet Stitch Written Explanation
Double Crochet (dc):
- Wrap the yarn over (Yo) the hook, insert the hook into the specified st.
- Yo the hook again, draw the yarn through the st, so there are 3 loops on the hook
- Yo the hook again draw it through 2 loops, so there are 2 loops on the hook
- Yo the hook, draw it through the final 2 loops.
Double Crochet Stitch Video
The Yarn That’s Perfect for a Square DC Pattern!
If you’d like to achieve the same look as mine, then you’re going to want to get a hold of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick. It is a wool blend yarn that considered a super bulky six yarn, which means it works up fast and is easy to use! The bigger the yarn, the easier it is to crochet quickly.
This yarn is perfect to make chunky cozy squares with. You’ll be amazed at how fast they can really work up once you get the hang of the pattern. Also, this dc square is perfect for using up the extra yarn you have around, so search those yarn stashes for your leftovers!
Extra: Take a look at the yarn below and let me know what you think. I used the colorway Celebration for my example.
This really is an easy square to crochet since it uses just one stitch! Below you’ll find the full free crochet pattern as well as the material list plus everything you’ll need to start crocheting a square!
The Double Crochet Stitch Square Pattern
Skill Level: Basic
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick 15 grams per square or any six weight super bulky yarn
- Yarn needle
- Crochet hook 9 mm or 10 mm (whatever you need crochet hook size you need for gauge)
- ch(s) = Chain(s)
- dc(s) = Double Crochet(s)
- st(s)= Stitch(es)
- 8 dc’s by 4 Rows = 5″ X 5″
- 5″ X 5″ inches
- The pattern is written in Standard US Terms
- ch 2’s do not count as st
The Easy Crochet Square Pattern
Foundation Row: Ch 10
Row 1: In the 3rd CH from the hook DC, DC into each CH across, turn. (8)
Row 2: Ch 2, in the first ST DC, DC into each ST across, turn. (8)
Row 3: Ch 2, in the first ST DC, DC into each ST across, turn. (8)
Row 4: Ch 2, in the first ST DC, DC into each ST across. (8)
Finishing: Fasten off the yarn. Weave in the loose ends with a large yarn needle.
Double Crochet Square Video Tutorial & Lesson
You Are Done With The Square!
I hope you enjoyed this square tutorial pattern! If you have any questions, please feel free to join the crochet club over on Facebook! Join now. You can also use the images below to save this square pattern to Pinterest to make later!
Sew Squares Together to Make a DC Square Blanket!
Once you finish all your squares you’ll want to use a yarn needle to sew the squares together to create your very own throw blanket as written below. Want a different size?
Take a peek at the chart below to see approximately how many squares will be needed for each size blanket when using this bulky 6 yarn.
Bonus DC Square Blanket Chart
- Each square has to be made to gauge at 5″ x 5″ for this chart to be accurate.
- Each square weighs approximately 15 grams. This note will come in handy when you are trying to figure out yardage for each blanket size.
Pattern Note: If you do decide to use a different yarn weight or even brand as shown in the pattern, the results may vary.
Be sure to check out the video tutorial on how to crochet this square below if that is more your jam!
More Free Crochet Square Patterns to Make
- Crochet Ghost C2C Square Pattern
- WUA Simple Crochet Rectangle #5
- WUA Puff Crochet Rectangle Pattern #4
- Warm Up America Alissa Crochet Rectangle Pattern #3
- Warm Up America Crochet Rectangle #2
- Warm Up America Textured Crochet Rectangle #1
- How to Crochet a Classic Granny Square
- Crochet Blanket Square Pattern
- Crochet Blanket Square
- Simple Square Free Crochet Pattern