Textured Cowl – Crochet Pattern
Are you looking for a relaxing and fun weekend project? Then the Textured Cowl crochet pattern is for you!
Read on down to find the full, free crochet pattern!
Want to crochet more? Explore the Easy Crochet pattern database for access to over 300 FREE designs!
I am so excited for you to try this pattern!
I had so much fun creating this textured cowl! This pattern is beginner-friendly and works up relatively fast.
I used simple half double crochets (HDC) throughout and alternated between working in the front loop (FL) and the 3rd loop of each stitch. (see pictures below)
Some of you may have even seen the sneak peek of it last week on Instagram. I used my favorite yarn “Lion Brand Wool Spun” in Plum, which is a gorgeous heathered purple color! The finished cowl drapes beautifully around my neck and is incredibly soft!
UPDATE 2019: Lion Brand Woolspun is no longer widely available. I suggest using Color Made Easy, which is also from Lion Brand as a substitute for this cowl. Click the yarn image below to check it out.
Ready to get started?
I hope you enjoy the pattern! Read on down for the full instructions.
Crochet Cowl Pattern
Skill Level: Intermediate
- CH = chain
- SL ST = slip stitch
- HDC = half double crochet
- FL HDC = front loop half double crochet
- 28″ circumference & a 7″ height
- For help with the 3rd loop & FL HDC see pictures above.
- Gauge = approx. 6 st’s for every 4″
- Less than one skein of Lion Brand Woolspun yarn in Plum or 127 yards of any bulky size five yarn.
- Crochet hook size L 8.00 MM
- Yarn needle
ROUND 1: CH 50, Join with a SL ST to form a circle making sure not to twist. (50)
ROUND 2: CH 2, HDC in 3rd ST from HOOK, HDC in every ST around. (50)
ROUND 3: CH 2, *HDC in 3rd LOOP in back of first ST from the previous row, in next ST FL HDC, repeat around. (50)
ROUND 4: Repeat 2
ROUND 5: Repeat 3
ROUND 6: Repeat 2
ROUND 7: Repeat 3
ROUND 8: Repeat 2
ROUND 9: Repeat 3
ROUND 10: Repeat 2
ROUND 11: Repeat 3
ROUND 12: Repeat 2
Fasten off yarn and weave in loose ends throughout with yarn needle.
Thanks for stopping by! I would LOVE to see your finished cowls on Instagram using the hashtag #easycrochetcom
- Waffle Stitch Crochet Scarf
- Textured Crochet Neck Warmer Pattern
- Josie Chunky Crochet Scarf Pattern
- 6 Must Make Pocket Shawl Crochet Patterns
- Ombre Crochet Neck Warmer Pattern
- Williams Puff Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Crochet Scarves to Make for Christmas
- 20 Free & Easy Crochet Scarf Patterns to Make Today
- Crochet Griddle Stitch Scarf Pattern
- The Best Crochet Stitches for Scarves
- Free Ombre Crochet Scarf Pattern
What are the measurements of the finished piece? Height & width?
It is in the notes section of the pattern. 🙂
I always recommend your designs to my customers. My questions is regarding joining each round. I did a slip stitch at the top of the first HDC of the previous round and then did the chain 2 and then proceeded with the next round. Or, did you intend to chain 2 at the top of the last HDC and then proceed to the next round?
Thanks for taking the time to clarify.
You had it right the first time. 🙂
Beautiful simplicity–or should that be simply beautiful. Both fit. Thank you for making the pattern so easy to follow with great photos. Can’t wait to make this one!
Thank you Judy!! 🙂
This is just so pretty . . . I love the color and stitch pattern!! Thank you so much for the pattern!
Thank you!! 🙂 and you are welcome!!