Are you looking for a crocheted tote bag to replace plastic bags? (Who isn’t?) If so, you’ll love this free crochet bag pattern.
You can make this crochet market bag today with the free pattern below to take to the store, farmers market and wherever you need to go. If you enjoy this bag, be sure to check out the Milo Tote! It’s a similar crochet project which I think you’d enjoy as well.
I am so excited for you to try this simple and eco-friendly crochet bag pattern. Happy Crocheting!
It Can be a Crochet Beach Bag Too!
This free crochet tote bag pattern is fun to make and is the perfect size for a beach bag! Just think, no sand-filled bags! This cute bag is also suitable for a trip to a farmers market or the grocery store.
Tote bags are always fun to make, and our family always seems to get a ton of use from them. If you are looking for even more crochet tote bags to make, I also designed the Milo tote, which is also a great one to take to the shore too!
I did finish this tote earlier in the month, just in time for my daughter to tote her books back and forth to the beach! And It worked perfectly! I was thrilled when the sand fell out through the bottom of the market tote bag, which meant less mess in my truck and beach house.
The Yarn I Used for This Crochet Tote Bag
If you wish you could quickly line this tote with fabric to make it more useful for smaller items that you may want to carry. And since the design calls for cotton yarn, you can throw it in the wash too!
I used Lily’s Sugar N Cream Yarn in the colors Ecru and Jute, but any cotton (#4 weight) yarn will work! Live wild and make one of each lined and unlined!
Now that we know all that is needed to crochet his project, it’s time to get started! If you are ready to make this simple tote, then scroll on down to find the full free crochet bag tutorial.
Happy Crochet Bag Making!
How to Crochet a Tote Bag
Skill Level: Intermediate
- Lily Sugar’n Cream Cotton Yarn or any brand of cotton yarn
- 2 balls of Ecru (Color A) & 1 ball of Jute (Color B)
- Size J crochet hook 6.00 MM
- Yarn needle
- Stitch Marker (optional) to help mark your stitches
- ch = chain
- sc = single crochet
- dc = double crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- sk = skip
- st= stitch
- rep = repeat
- The finished size is approximately 12″ wide X 15″ length (31 x 38 cm) without handles, but they will stretch since cotton yarn is being used.
- Written in standard US terms
- If you wish to reduce the stretching of this bag, I recommend lining it, there are some great tutorials on how to line crochet bags. Have a look at a tutorial on how to line a crochet bag.
- You MAY sell items made from the Market Tote Bag Pattern. If you choose to sell items made from any of my patterns, please link back to me at Easy Crochet for credit. Do not use my photos to sell any items. Thank you for respecting my work.
The Crochet Tote Bag Pattern Steps
Round 1: Starting with Color A ch 3, 10 dc In 3rd ch from hook, sl to the first dc. (10)
Round 2: Ch 3, in first st dc, ch 1, * dc, ch 1 rep around from *, sl st to first dc. (chain 1’s count as a st here and throughout the pattern) (20)
Round 3: Ch 3, dc, 2 dc in ch 1 space, * dc on top of dc from previous round, 2 dc in ch 1 space, rep around from *, sl st to first dc. (30)
Round 4: Ch 3, dc, ch 1, * dc, ch 1 rep around from *, sl st to first dc. (60)
Round 5: Ch 3, *dc, 1 dc in ch 1 space, dc, 2 dc in ch 1 space, rep from * around, sl st to top of first dc. (75)
Round 6: Ch 3, * Ch 1, sk 1 st, dc in next st, repeat from * around, ending with a ch 1 and sk st, sl st to top of first ch 1, (76)
After this round the purse should start to take shape since there are no more increase rounds.
Round 7: Ch 3, 2 dc in every ch 1 space around, sl st to first Dc (76)
Round 8: Ch 3, * Ch 1, sk 1 st, dc in next st, repeat from * around, sl st to top of first ch 1, (76)
Round 9: Repeat round 7 (76)
Round 10: Repeat round 8 (76)
Round 11: Repeat round 7 (76)
Round 12: Repeat round 8 (76)
Round 13: Repeat round 7 (76)
Round 14: Repeat round 8 (76)
Round 15: Repeat round 7 (76)
Round 16: Repeat round 8 (76)
Round 17: Repeat round 7 (76)
Round 18: Repeat round 8 (76)
Round 19: Change color to Jute, ch 1, *2 sc in ch 1 space, repeat from * around (76)
Round 20: ch 1, sc in every st, sl st to the top of the first st (76)
Round 21: Repeat round 20(76)
Round 22: Repeat round 20 (76)
Round 23: Repeat round 20 (76)
Making the Handles
Make sure you crochet up two handles. Each handle should measure approximately 24 inches (61 cm) long. Note that it will stretch as it is used, so be mindful of that.
Row 1: Ch 6, sc in 2nd ch from hook and every ch across, turn (5)
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in every ch across (5)
Row 3-60: Repeat row 2 (5)
Putting the Tote Bag Together
Finishing: Attach handles on inside of bag with yarn by using yarn needle and sewing a square and X to make secure (see picture)
To finish your tote weave in the loose ends throughout the bag with a yarn needle.
I hope you enjoyed this Market Tote Bag Crochet Pattern! It would really make the perfect crochet summer bag or even crochet grocery bag!
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I am more than happy to assist in any way possible.
More Free Crochet Patterns
Want more patterns similar to this? Try some of our favorite free crochet pattern designs to make below!
- Modern Baby Ripple Blanket Pattern
- Rainbow Cluster Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Beach Glass Clutch Crochet Pattern
- Plant Holder Crochet Pattern
Here are some other patterns or tutorials that you may find helpful:
- What is DK Weight Yarn?
- How Much Yarn Will You Need For a Crochet Project?
- Defining Crochet Pattern Skill Levels
- Mountain Pine Tree Crochet Blanket
- The Best Baby Yarn to Use for Crochet or Knit Projects
- Tunisian Crochet For Beginners
- Fun Crochet Projects To Make For Every Skill Level
- Thanksgiving Table Runner Crochet Patterns
- The Best Gifts For Knitters – Whether You’re A Beginner Or An Expert
- Crochet Conversation Heart Patterns
- Free Crochet Christmas Patterns for the Home
- Back Loop Crochet vs. Front Loop Crochet
- 1 Hour Crochet Patterns (All Free!)