Some of you may remember when I made this crochet hat pattern earlier in the fall in a creme color. I was asked to make one in black for an order and I’m pretty sure I love it even more in this darker color.
This black crochet hat pattern will work up fast and there shouldn’t be to many screams because black yarn is used. At least I hope not. Read on down for the easy and free crochet hat pattern.
Using Black Yarn in a Hat Pattern
Black is a little harder to crochet with because it is not as easy to see what stitches are being worked into. I can promise when you use black yarn in this hat pattern you will be happy!
Sometimes the hassle is worth it because this color almost always makes for a beautiful hat!
Let’s Get Started!
If you are ready to make this free crochet hat pattern for yourself, then read on down to find the FREE tutorial!
Happy Crocheting Friends!
Chunky Crochet Black Button Hat Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- Super bulky yarn #6 weight less than 100 yards
- Size N crochet hook 9.00 MM
- Button (I used these brown coconut shell buttons)
- Yarn needle
- Stitch marker
- The finished size of this hat has a 20″ circumference & 7.75″ length
- Fits a Older Child
- The SL ST’s in each round do not count as a stitch. (Skip it)
- Move up the stitch marker at the beginning of every round (It’s easier to keep track of your rounds this way)
- Written in standard US terms
Crochet Flower Black Hat Pattern
- ROUND 1: Start with a magic circle. CH 1,11 DC in circle, SL ST to top of first DC (11DC)
- ROUND 2: 2 DC in every ST around (22 DC), SL ST to top of first DC from previous round
- ROUND 3: DC in first ST, *2 DC in next St, DC in next stitch, Repeat from * around. SL ST to top of first DC from previous round (33 DC)
- ROUND 4: DC in each ST Around, SL ST to top of first DC from previous round (33 DC)
- ROUND 5: REPEAT ROUND 4
- ROUND 6: REPEAT ROUND 4
- ROUND 7: REPEAT ROUND 4
- ROUND 8: SC in each ST around, SL ST to top of first ST from previous round (33 DC)
- ROUND 9: REPEAT 8
- ROUND 10: REPEAT 8, Fasten Off
- ROUND 1: Magic Circle, 10 SC in Circle, SL ST to first SC
- ROUND 2: CH 2 , 2 DC in same ST, *SL ST in next ST, 3 DC in next ST. Repeat for a total of 5 Petals. SL ST,Fasten off leaving tail for weaving in.
- Attach button to center of flower with Yarn.
- Weave ends into hat with Yarn needle.
- Attach flower to hat with Yarn needle.