As a crocheter, you may want to branch out to other fiber arts such as punch needle embroidery because we all love yarn! Right? More than likely you will want to use an easy punch needle kit to start with and expand from there to more complicated ones.
With that said, take a look below at a few of the best beginner punch needles kits and learn how to punch needle. All these punch needle kits are modern, easy and come with clear pattern instructions.
What is Punch Needle?
Punch needle can also be called needle punching. Punch needle works by using a needle tool to punch rug yarn or embroidery thread back and forth through fabric to create a design.
Punch Needle vs Embroidery
- Punch Needle
- Punch needling uses a yarn to create a loop or rug yarn project. It typically uses a thicker super bulky yarn but can also be worked with two strands of four weight yarns or lighter weight yarns held together on monk cloth.
- Punch Needle Embroidery
- Embroidery punch needling uses thread, different needle pen tool and cloth called weaver’s cloth.
Needle punching is a relaxing and fun hobby as well as easy to learn. It is a quick craft for beginners to pick up and get started with. Learn more below about what a punch needle kit is and why you should get one as a beginner in this craft.
What Does a Punch Needle Kit Include?
You can expect to find these supplies and materials listed below in a punch needle kit:
- Punch Needle Tool
- Instructions or Pattern
- Embroidery Hoop or Frame
Punch needle kits can vary with what is included in the kit but most have the yarn you’ll need, a cloth, hoop and the punch needle tool. But be sure to read the full material list because for example when I purchased my first punch needle kit from Michaels the punch needle tool was not included and had to be purchased separately.
Punch Needle Supplies:
- Punch Needle Tool
- There are many types of punch needle pens that are good to use. The most popular needle tool is the Oxford Punch Needle. It has a wooden handle and stainless needle which is available in regular(for thicker yarn) and fine (for lighter weight yarns.) The second most popular is a plastic punch tool that is great for beginners since it is a cheaper option but works just as well.
- There are many types of fabrics that can be used, but 12 holes per inch monk cloth is best for large rug punch needle making, and weaver’s cloth a poly/cotton blend is best for punch needle embroidery. You can find cloth on Etsy or from specialty shops such as Dorr Mill online. Amazon has quite a few cloth choices to pick from too.
- Hoop / Frame
- There a few options to hold your punch needle project in place such as an adjustable hoop. You’ll want to use a non-slip adjustable hoops, so your design stays in place. A frame is another option and can be either a wooden gripper frame or pvc pipe frame which both of which are good for rug yarn pillow projects on the go.
- A pattern is an important part of punch needling. You can usually find these for sale on Etsy. You can also find free punch needle patterns online on blogs that are just as nice. Some kits will come with a pattern stamped on the cloth and some you will have to trace on to the fabric.
- Yarn is the best part of a punch needle kit if you ask me, but I am a little biased. Kits can include all different fiber types such as cotton or acrylic ranging from worsted weight to bulky.
The Best Punch Needle Kits for Beginners
The list below contains some of my favorite modern punch needle kits as well as a few classic kits that are all great for those who are beginning their punch needle journey.
Rainbow Punch Needle Kit
This beginner-friendly rainbow kit from HomebodyDIY on Etsy includes:
- The yarn
- Punch Needle
All of which you’ll need to get started. She also offers different types of punch needle kits that you may be interested in too.
Beginner Sunrise / Landscape Kit
This beginner-friendly punch needle kit from Wool Queen on Amazon includes:
- Complete easy-to-follow instructions
- One wooden punch pen
- 14”x 10” frame
Punch Needle Monstera Leaf Kit
This beginner punch needle kit from Bella Filato Studio on Etsy includes:
- Monstera plant stamped on Monk’s Cloth
- One 9” No Slip hoop for easy punch
- One 9” embroidery hoop for easy hanging
- One adjustable Punch Needle with 4 settings with threading wire
- Brief instructions on Punch Needle Art
Punch Needle Butterfly Kit from Michaels
This small and easy to make needle punch kit from Michaels features a colorful butterfly. This kit is perfect for those new to punch needling and for older children to try. Remember you’ll need to purchase a punch needle tool separately.
- Complete easy-to-follow instructions & punch needle video.
- Plastic embroidery hoop
- Printed poly/cotton fabric
- Cotton yarn
- Sewing needle
Punch Needle Kit with 3 Pattern Options
These three beginner-friendly punch needle pattern kits from Lemon Art Crafts on Etsy are modern and would look GREAT in any space.
- 1 embroidery hoop
- -1 Illustrated Linen fabrics
- 1 Punch Needle with Adjustable levels (4 Options)
- 1 Sets Embroidery Cotton threads
- YouTube video Tutorials
Unicorn Punch Needle Kit
This unicorn punch needle starter kit from Chloe Art Crafts on Etsy would make a great decoration piece for a nursery or child’s bedroom.
- 1 embroidery hoop
- 1 Illustrated Linen fabrics
- 1 Adjustable Punch Needle Tool
- 1 Set of Embroidery Cotton threads
Common Punch Needle Questions
How do You Thread a Punch Needle?
Start by using the threader that usually comes with a punch needle tool depending on the brand. Some needles have this built into them already. Use these step-by-step instructions on how to thread a punch needle to help.
How Do You Finish Punch Needle Work?
Finishing the back of a punch needle project is actually straightforward. I found a blog post about how to finish your punch needle work in three ways that I found useful is perfect for beginners to learn.