This easy crochet cowl is the perfect first crochet project for a beginner who’s looking to try something a bit more adventurous than rows.
This cowl uses only basic crochet stitches throughout the entire pattern and is quick to work up. I’m talking about less than an hour from start to finish in making this crocheted cowl!
Read on down to find the free pattern with all the details right here on the blog, or find the easy to print PDF version in our shop. If you love quick & easy crochet patterns, then you’ll definitely love this easy crochet cowl!
I can’t wait for you to get started on this simple design to see how fun (+easy) it is to crochet!
The Crochet Stitches for a Quick & Easy Cowl
This one-hour cowl pattern uses the half double crochet stitch, chain stitch and slip stitches, which makes it work up extremely fast. If you are new to crochet then this cowl is for you since it is so simple to get the hang of.
I promise it, this easy crochet stitch will make learning how to crochet a cowl seem like a breeze. If you’d like to learn how to make a half double crochet stitch in crochet plus the other stitches, follow the Easy Crochet tutorial below.
The Crochet Stitches
- Yo (yarn over) insert hook from front to back of the designated stitch, yo the hook and pick up a loop.
- Yo the hook and pull back through all three loops on the hook.
Half Double Crochet
Difficulty Level: Easy
Learn this stitch →
- Insert hook into designated stitch
- YO (yarn over) and pull back through the st and through the loop on the hook.
Abbreviation: Sl St
Difficulty Level: Easy
Learn this stitch →
A simple crochet stitch that often forms the foundation of what crochet stitches are worked into during projects.
- Make a slip knot.
- Insert hook into slip knot point first, bring yarn over the shaft of the hook from back to front and grab it with the throat of the hook.
- Draw hooked yarn through slip knot and onto the hook. This movement will make one chain stitch
- Repeat steps two and three until you have the desired number of stitches for a pattern. One loop will remain on hook.
Yep! That’s it! Just a few basic crochet stitches are needed to know how to crochet an easy cowl. If you can master these stitches, then you will be good to go.
The Yarn You’ll Need for This Chunky Beginner Cowl
This chunky yarn cowl uses less than 2 skeins of Cozy Wool from Michaels in the color Golden Rod, which is a thick and super bulky six yarn. Super Bulky yarn is perfect to use on crochet projects like this because it works up so fast, and it feels cozy!
Take a look at the cozy yarn below. ↓
Do you want to use a Substitute Yarn? No problem! If you can’t find the Cozy Wool yarn, I would suggest using Wool-Ease Thick & Quick or Hometown USA, both of which are from Lion Brand. These two substitute yarns can easily be found almost anywhere online, including my go-to shopping place, Michaels.com or on Amazon.
Get Started on This Easy Crochet Cowl
If you are ready to make this simple crochet cowl, then read on down for the full, FREE pattern or purchase the ready to print PDF version in our shop below. If you prefer a video tutorial instead, subscribe to my YouTube channel, so you never miss out on a free pattern!
To sum it up: This simple beginner-friendly crochet cowl (remember, the skill level is easy, so you’ll need to know the basics of crochet to make this!) can be made quickly with thick bulky six yarn or even with strands of different yarn held together.
You’ll love how easy it is to make and how simple this cowl tutorial is to follow! Promise!
One Hour Beginner Crochet Cowl Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- Loops and Threads Cozy Wool or 180 yards of super bulky (6) yarn
- Crochet hook 9 MM
- Large Yarn Needle
Abbreviations + Stitches
Learn the crochet stitches and abbreviations before starting this design.
- 5 sts x 4 rows = 4″ x 4″ inches
- 32″ circumference & 13″ height || fits most teen – adults (when correct gauge is followed)
- Use our crochet scarf & cowl size chart to see common scarf sizes.
- ch 2’s do NOT count as a st (skip them)
- The pattern is written in standard US terms
Easy Cowl Pattern Steps
Round 1: Ch 40, sl st to the first ch to form a circle, taking care not to twist. (40)
Round 2: ch 2, hdc in 3rd ch from the hook, hdc in every ch around, sl st to top of first hdc. (40)
Round 3: ch 2, hdc in first st, hdc in every st around, sl st to the top of the first hdc. (40)
Round 4-14: Repeat round 3. (40)
Finishing: After round 14, fasten off with scissors and weave in loose ends throughout the cowl with a yarn needle.
That’s it! Your one-hour crochet neck scarf cowl is now complete! If you liked this pattern, you will probably also like the 1-Hour Messy Bun Beanie Pattern too.
More Free Crochet Cowl & Neck Patterns
Are you looking for even more crochet cowl patterns? Explore the Easy Crochet scarves/cowl pattern database for inspiration.
- Easy Crochet Winter Scarf Pattern
- 7 Cozy Fall Crochet Scarf Patterns You’ll Love
- 13 Lacy Crochet Scarf Patterns
- Waffle Stitch Crochet Scarf Pattern
- Textured Crochet Neck Warmer Pattern
- Josie Chunky Crochet Scarf Pattern
- 6 Cozy Crochet Pocket Shawl Patterns You’ll Love
- Ombre Crochet Neck Warmer Pattern
- Williams Puff Cowl Crochet Pattern
- 7 Festive Crochet Scarves to Make for Christmas