Crochet baskets are an easy-to-make home decor project that are useful for organizing! Plus, baskets are a quick crochet project if you only have a short amount of time to crochet.
I love anything that will help organize my house, so this chunky crochet basket pattern was naturally a must-have for me. If you are ready to stay organized too, then read on down to find the free basket crochet pattern!
You can learn how to make a basket with chunky yarn today with the free chunky crochet basket tutorial, and I hope you have fun making this simple basket pattern!
The Yarn That’s Perfect for This Basket
To make my chunky crochet basket, I used Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick Yarn in neutral colors, so it would blend well with any room it was collecting yarn in! This yarn is a super bulky #6 yarn that is available in a variety of beautiful colors.
I think any yarn color would be nice for this basket, and I recommend exploring all the different options available before you make your basket. Take a peek at a few of my favorites below.
This Basket Can Hold Your Extra Yarn!
I am currently using this basket to hold some of my extra yarn, but it could be used for many other things like hair pretties, hand towels, crochet hooks and more!
If you like this crochet basket pattern you may also like my Mini Basket Crochet Pattern too!
Want a Sturdier Basket?
I would suggest crochet with a tight tension to make it stand up nicely. I also love working with two skeins of yarn at once and work the pattern as written.
Another great technique is to crochet past the suggested round 9. Repeat Round 9 nine more time and then fold it down inside the basket to make the sides stay firm. This technique will omit the handles but your basket will be much stronger.
Ready to Get Started?
If you think you are ready to make this then read on down for the FREE pattern for the chunky crochet storage basket!
Happy Crocheting Friends!
Chunky Crochet Basket Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
- 100 Yards of – Lion Brand Wool- Ease Thick & Quick in Barley & Gray Marble or any bulky 6 yarns.
- Size N crochet hook 9.00 mm
- Yarn Needle
- dc = double crochet
- sc= single crochet
- ch = chain
- sl st = slip stitch
- sk = skip
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- 10″ x 10″ inches + 8″ inches high (with handles)
- You MAY sell items made from this pattern. If you choose to sell items made from any of my patterns, please link back to me at www.easycrochet.com for credit. Do not use my photos to sell any items. Thank you for respecting my work.
- Please do not copy my pattern partly or in whole on any site.
- The basket pattern is written in standard US terms
- If you’d like to start the pattern with a magic circle, simply make the ring and dc 10 times into that ring, skipping the sl st step at the end.
- The parenthesis at the end of the steps show the total stitch (st) count for that round.
The Pattern Steps
Round 1: using Grey Marble, ch 3, 10 dc in 3rd ch from hook, sl st to top of first dc. (10)
Round 2: ch 3, starting in the first st 2 dc, 2 dc in every ch around, sl st to top of first dc. (20)
Round 3: ch 3, 2 dc in the first st, 2 dc in every st around, sl st to top of first dc. (work should measure 7″ x 7″ after this round) (40)
Round 4: switch yarn color to Barley, ch 3, starting in first st *dc, sc in next st, repeat from * around. sl st to top of first dc. (40)
Round 5: ch 1, starting in first st *sc, dc in next st, repeat from * around, sl st to top of first sc. (40)
Round 6: repeat round 4 starting with the ch 3. (40)
Round 7: switch yarn color to Grey Marble, repeat round 5. (40)
Round 8: repeat round 4 starting with the ch 3. (40)
Round 9: repeat round 5. (40)
Round 10: switch yarn color to Barley, repeat round 4. (40)
Round 11: ch 1, starting in first st sc, sc in next 8 sts, ch 8 (handle), sk 3 st’s, sl st in next st, sc in next 15 sts, ch 8 (handle), sk 3 st’s, sl st in next st, sc in next 8 sts, sl st to top of first sc. (40)
Round 12: switch yarn to Grey Marble, ch 1, starting in first st sc, sc in next 8 sts, 8 sc in the ch 8 space (handle) from previous round, sc in next 15 sts, 8 sc in the ch 8 space (handle) from previous round, sc in next 8 sts, sl st to top of first sc. (40)
To finish up just weave in the loose ends with a yarn needle and fasten off.
Share this on Pinterest to Crochet Later
Use the images below to pin to Pinterest, so you can make learn this chunky yarn basket at any time. Follow along with us on there too since we always share new free patterns as well as crochet stitches and tutorials too.
You Are Done!
I hope you enjoyed this chunky basket pattern. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I am more than happy to assist in any way possible.
Happy Crochet Basket Making!
You May Also Like These Free Crochet Patterns + Tutorials
- Easy Christmas Stocking Patterns for Beginners
- 30 Minute Crochet Projects for Beginners
- Easy and Free Christmas Crochet Patterns for Beginners
- Cozy Up This Winter With These Crochet Coffee Cozies
- Easy Crochet Hat Pattern for Beginners
- Get Cozy with Our Pine Tree Crochet Pattern Collection
- Last-Minute Halloween Costumes to Crochet: Easy Ideas
- The Puff Stitch: A Simple Guide to Crocheting It Right